Racking lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev R

Reaction score
When is the best time to transfer from the primary fermenter to secondary?.
Brewing lager beer by Noonan states to transfer with 30% attenuation remaining. Others say not to rack or to rack after a D rest , others after clearing. It is my understanding that some yeast is necessary in the secondary for the lagering process.

I've racked anything between two days after pitching, and two weeks after pitching. Can't say I've ever noticed any difference in the final beer.

Even if you used gelatin and crash chilled before transferring, there will still be plenty of yeast present in the secondary, and/or for natural carbonation (if you're doing that).

Aside from debating the reasons why you wouldn't use a secondary, I'd firstly be looking at how old the information is that you're referring to.

:confused:
Aside from debating the reasons why you wouldn't use a secondary, I'd firstly be looking at how old the information is that you're referring to.

New Brewing Lager Beer by Gregory Noonan published 1996.
Why.- Because I wish to lager and I want my fermenter back.

Last edited:
Can't argue with Noonan, but he takes a very rigorous and traditional approach to lager making. If you followed his methods I think you would make a world class lager. Admittedly the traditional lager making approach can be a bit involved and is very time consuming.
Saying he says to rack with 30% of the gravity to go is a bit misleading, If you were brewing in a CCV (Cylindro Conical Vessel) that's about when you would drop any yeast and trub sitting in the cone, but if you are fermenting and Lagering in a unitank you would be doing 3-4 drops during the whole brewing cycle.
If you are looking to shorten the process, yes racking when there is still some extract to be fermented, then cooling slowly over several days toward lagering temperatures (<4oC) would work. Remember that a diacetyl rest is only a remedial step if you have a diacetyl problem, otherwise unnecessary (largely down to your yeast pitch rates and wort nutrient).
I think if you want to make lager successfully you really need a dedicated brewing fridge (or a large stockpile of other beer) and a lot of patience.
Well worth reading Braukaiser, he takes a very pragmatic approach to making good beer.
Making good lager is hard work, but worth it when it comes together.
Mark

Latest posts

Back