Racking Cane/syphon

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cactus

Reaction score
Hi again.

Been getting so much excellent advice out of you all I thought I'd drop back to raise an issue that's been bothering me for a bit now.

I'm very new to the whole thing but it's in the blood, my old man was brewing when I was a young fella. He had a 5 gal and a 15 gal fermenter that would churn out a batch every 2-3 weeks. He drank it all too, by himself. By my math that's 40 tallies a week, surprising he's alive really.

Anyways, to bulk prime I'm using a syphon racking cane/auto syphon (link to photo below) running through some 8mm hose curled up nicely at the bottom of the secondary. As soon as the level in the primary gets below about half there is an awful lot of gurgling going on down the hose as if it is sucking up air.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ...3JWrmgiMdyRqd4g

I'm concerned that I may be getting oxygen into the mix and wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience ?

Cheers heaps !

Just started using an easy siphon the other day and had the gurgling noise once the liquid dropped bellow the bottom of the inner tube. Pushing the tube down further inside helped.

Cheers, I have tried that and it's jammed as far down as it will go. If I pump the inner cane bit up and down a few times it stops for a while but starts up again pretty quick.

Back