Racking/c.c./bulk Priming.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crusher

Reaction score
Another beginner question here,
After racking, should you only C.C. lagers, or can you C.C.other types. I racked a Morgans wheat beer 2 weeks ago & put it in the fridge. I have just taken it out to bulk prime & bottle. Can I bulk prime & bottle straight after I take it out of the fridge or should I let it come down to room temperature.

Thanks, Crusher.

Both ales and lagers benefit in my view. I personally think it is better to bottle immediately, not let it warm up. The amount of CO2 dissolved in the brew is a function of temperature. If you let it warm up, some of the CO2 is going to want to come out of solution, and you can find that bottling is quite a foamy messy business compared to bottling it cold.

Crusher,

You can cold condition anything - that said, I've found Lagers respond better to CC'ing over a few weeks, compared to Ales. The best way to find out is to brew the same beer twice and CC one of them. Compare them after 3-4 weeks and if there's a big improvement on the CC'd one, then you're on a winner!

The main indicator that CC'ing is good, is the sediment left behind in the secondary fermenter when you bottle the beer (or move it into the bottling bucket, if you bulk prime...)
All that fine sediment stays out of the bottles, thus making a clearer crisper brew.

You are better off to bottle the wort cold - just make sure that you haven't disturbed the sediment in the bottom of the secondary fermenter before you bottle. If you don't have to move the racking bin to bottle - go for it!

Cheers,

TL

Latest posts

Back