Racking And Bulk Priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanator

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just sampled one of my wheat beers and it turned out a little flat (not completely flat, but not exactly fizzy).

I left the beer in the first drum for one week, transfered it into a new drum for another week, then bulk primed it and let it condition in the bottle for one more week.

The brew was 23 litres, so I primed it with 180 grams of dextrose.

When priming with dextrose, do you use a different amount than when using normal white sugar?

Do you need to use more sugar if the beer has been racked?

This was my first time racking and priming with dextrose and just need a little help.

Cheers!

Ryanator,

Yes you need to use a little more dextrose than cane sugar. 180g of dex should give you reasonable carbonation in 23 litres.

If it's only been in the bottle for a week. Leave it warm for another week or two. Carbonation will most definitely increase by then.

Warren -

Ryan, you asked:

Q: When priming with dextrose, do you use a different amount than when using normal white sugar?

A: NO

Q: Do you need to use more sugar if the beer has been racked?

A: NO

You say its only been in the bottle a week. Leave it another couple of weeks and try one. It'll come good - just have to be patient. Minimum I leave mine before sampling is two/three weeks. I use this as a rough guide to work out how much sugar to use when bulk priming.

Final Gravity Grams
1006-1008 180
1008-1010 160
1010-1014 140
1014-1018 120
1019-1025 100

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks.

Yeah I probably should let it age a bit more. Curiosity got the better of me and I had to crack one open! :beerbang:

The temperature has been really low as well so it wouldn't have conditioned much in the last week. At one stage the temp was below zero!

Here's probably a good place to plug my free dextrose bulk priming calculator. See my signature below for link.

Also, see "Bulk Priming" topics in Doc's FAQ list.

Edit: Added link to FAQ list

That Docs FAQ List is a great link...cheers.

Back