quickish advice needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibby33

Reaction score
Have just done the mash of the grains. Went outside and drained and sparged. Now the wind has got up and I cannot do the boil. Will it be okay to boil tomorrow? Really fecked off! Going to have to build a sheltered place outside! Need a shed. Big one.

All good to boil tomorrow, I have done it (ran out of gas on a brew weeknight)

Either that or brew indoors

Cheers. Will boil tomorrow. Just wanted to make sure that the little buggers that caused the need for the boil in the first place weren't going to over run the show.

dibby33 said:
Cheers. Will boil tomorrow. Just wanted to make sure that the little buggers that caused the need for the boil in the first place weren't going to over run the show.
I'm going to assume you're talking about random happy bacteria/fungi... (?)

The boil is more than just to sanitise the wort, it will also drive off DMS (Dimethyl Sulfide), which in too great a quantity will result in your fermented beer smelling (but not necessarily tasting) of creamed corn.

This may or may not be followed by the sound of manly weeping as you tip 26L of bottled beer down the drain because you didn't know about boiling your wort yet. I'm also going to pretend this never happened.

Give "Dimethyl Sulfide" a go in your favourite search engine and click on the beer related links to find out more...

Mick

Didn't mean to imply it wouldn't.

As well as the obvious hops additions, it will also preserve the sugar profile if you didn't mash out (hmm, providing you boiled straight away... not so helpful here).

So, while only going a little OT, any other useful conversions occurring due to heat?

Mick

mofox1 said:
So, while only going a little OT, any other useful conversions occurring due to heat?
Hot break, enzyme degradation to name a couple.

mofox1 said:
I'm going to assume you're talking about random happy bacteria/fungi... (?)

The boil is more than just to sanitise the wort, it will also drive off DMS (Dimethyl Sulfide), which in too great a quantity will result in your fermented beer smelling (but not necessarily tasting) of creamed corn.

This may or may not be followed by the sound of manly weeping as you tip 26L of bottled beer down the drain because you didn't know about boiling your wort yet. I'm also going to pretend this never happened.

Give "Dimethyl Sulfide" a go in your favourite search engine and click on the beer related links to find out more...

Mick
I am also going to pretend that did not happen also! Sometimes mistakes have to be made to learn...

Boiled up (for about 70min) on Saturday and all is looking and smelling good.

Latest posts

Back