Quick yes or no recipe question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pogierob

Reaction score
3.3kg jw trad ale
1 kg wheat JW
500g light crystal

This is what I have in stock. Went to brewers den and Pete said it would be fine.
I have not thrown it into beersmith yet.

Simcoe as the hero hop

Kegging this beer.

Is that way too much wheat? Will it cause me troubles in the keg?

American Wheat style. Sounds textbook to me. You may possibly get a wee bit of haze, as with Murrays Whale Ale. I'd definitely use a USA style ale yeast like S-05 or a Wyeast equivalent. Save me a glass :)

That's almost the grain bill for Tony's LCBA. A bit of Munich or Vienna or whatever else there is in that one, but you've got 500g light crystal. Do the job easily. 1 Kg wheat malt is no problem, never had a haziness issue from that.

You could actually use recultured bottle Coopers yeast, put in 300g of da white sugaz and you'd come out with a half decent Sparkling Ale tribute. :super:

Is that not pushing the crystal a tad high?

I agree with Indica, That's 10% crystal. Half the crystal will be around the 5% mark. Really depends on your taste and how you like it.

What do you usually brew or like to drink?

Beer..

My main concern is the last kegged beer I had with wheat (50%) did not
Pour well out of the keg but was f'n amazing from the bottle.

I guess in after confirmation that I can brew this and keg it.

In my limited AG brew career experience I would drop the crystal to 250g, but that is to my taste.

Rob.P said:
Beer..

My main concern is the last kegged beer I had with wheat (50%) did not
Pour well out of the keg but was f'n amazing from the bottle.

I guess in after confirmation that I can brew this and keg it.
What styles in particular?

Use the same recipe but use 250g crystal, I just think 500g will be overkill. My guess is the standard bag size is 500g for sale.

What carbonation pressure did you have it set at for the keg?

APA is my style and unusually carb at 300 for two days then drop to pouring pressure. Since I currently use a tap straight onto the keg (no lines((soon to change)) because of kids) usually pour pressure is next to nothing 5-10kpa.

With the beer I stated earlier I degassed and tried and failed to get a decent pour, even after two weeks.

Depends on your hop schedule?. For an APA, I would think about how much crystal would suit the style.
For an Aussie style APA, cut back the crystal to stuff all. It all depends on what you are trying to brew.
Good luck with it. Will be great what ever you brew.

Back