Quick yeast question S04

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schikitar

Reaction score
Hey guys, doing my first ever AG brew this weekend, was feeling pretty prepared but realised that I probably don't have enough yeast. So I'm doing an XPA, about 27.5 litres, OG at 1.055 and have one packet of Safale S04. Looking at the yeast calculator here - https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast...50&sugarscale=sg&pitchrate=0.35&yeasttype=dry - it looks like I'm going to pull up short...

I was going to re-hydrate the yeast first but the calculator doesn't appear to account/care for that. Just wondering if it's worth making a starter from dry yeast OR should I just grab another packet (problem being I might not be able to source locally and/or in time)...?

Advice? Cheers!

Growing up dry yeast is not recommended. Going on your figures, I feel you'll be underpitching.
If at all possible, source another packet.

If you are worried about underpitching and you can't easily source another pack of dry yeast you could always reduce the volume to 23 litres.

Then again you could just "suck it and see" and report back how it went in a few weeks - probably what I'd do - I've found s-04 to be a quick starter, but poor finisher.

I’m guessing you intend chilling and pitching on brew day? But if you pitched about half your batch and can no chill the other half in a cube or something then shake and add it to the fermenter in the morning or within 15-20 hours it will be fine.

Thanks guys, I was going to do no chill as I haven't sprung for an immersion chiller just yet.

Some good tips there, I'll attempt to get some more of the same yeast, would there be any harm in pitching a similar yeast? Or maybe I just see what I can find and buy two packets of the same, yeah, that might be a better idea. My LHBS isn't very well stocked but I suppose any ale yeast would be good for the job, Nottingham or even US05 maybe...

Plenty easy options if you no chill. Wait till you get another S04, get different yeast and ferment separately (in the no chill cube if you don’t have another fermenter). Or use two different yeast in one fermenter.

S-04 & Nottingham - YES. I use them together - both fit the English style and you end up with a beast. Fast start of S-04 & attenuation of Notty.

Latest posts

Back