Quick recipe check

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty McFly

Reaction score
Hello!

I plan on making the following, just for the hell of it. However I don't know how it will turn out. Anyone have any idea? It's going to be:

• 2x Coopers Real Ale kits
  • Both included yeast sachets
  • 1x Brew Enhancer 2
  • 20L water
Was going to ferment it at 18 degrees.

Opinions?

Well, if it's no good, you could boil it off and turn the vapour into a whiskey of sorts.

In other words, no idea. It'll be beer.

Someone had to say it.

It will indeed be beer.

Can't dilute that bad-boy to 25L can you? I like the 2 x yeast packets.

How do you control your temp? You could probably get away with 21-23°C.

Do you have a secondary? If you feel a little bit fancy it will help, and might present a good opportunity to throw a sachet of Goldings in. Or, after 4-5 days in the primary.

The kit and extract recipe design spreadsheet says it will be 9% and 50IBU. If that still appeals to you, I'd be doing some hop infusions to give it a bit more character, but my gut feeling is that it will be overly bitter (not enough caramels and whatnot to balance it) and dominated by ethanol notes.

I don't have secondary sadly, I live in a little 1bdrm apartment so I try keep it simple.

I may dilute it to at least 22L.

What's a good way to round the flaour out without stuffing around with hops and stuff? I've never used hops, trying to keep this brew relatively cheap, too.

Maybe LME?

Removing one of the kits will round the flavour out.

bum said:
Removing one of the kits will round the flavour out.
McFly, I support your intent to be a bit different, but I tend to agree with Bum here. If you want some inspiration for simple two can recipes, use the search function and type in "toucan" recipes. The real ale is just not such a great choice due to being 30 IBU. You'll simply produce a more drinkable beer by using the one can in the volumes you can brew.

Understand you are low on funds, I quite liked this kit with Windsor and an EKG dry hop. (years ago now)

If you're low on funds, then swapping out one kit (about $14) and using hops for character ($9) will also be cheaper. I've just done my first hops infusion - yes, added complexity in the brewing process, but it isn't that taxing at all. Dry hopping at the end (chucking it in before the yeast) is tres simple.

You can also get 1kg of DME for around $8 from most shops and many sell varieties beyond "Light", such as Amber and Dark. Even if only using 200g here and there, they'd last quite a few brews and allow you to get some more depth and body behind the bitterness. 250 amber and 100 dark would significantly improve the flavour profile, while reducing the ratio of IBU to pave the way for some hop infusions plus dry hopping the fermenter. EKG, as mentioned, would be delicious in such a context.

iralosavic said:
You can also get 1kg of DME for around $8 from most shops and many sell varieties beyond "Light", such as Amber and Dark. Even if only using 200g here and there, they'd last quite a few brews and allow you to get some more depth and body behind the bitterness. 250 amber and 100 dark would significantly improve the flavour profile, while reducing the ratio of IBU to pave the way for some hop infusions plus dry hopping the fermenter. EKG, as mentioned, would be delicious in such a context.
I like, just try to keep moisture out of the DME when you store it. Maybe try 500g of amber DME and use 250g for this batch? Might have to keep that second pack of yeast for the second kit.

Can you split the batch with a mate? You should be able to dig up one of those Morgans foil packs of Goldings for $3-5

Back