Quick Question!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodderz

Reaction score
I'm about to start a 2nd brew, an Australian Pale Ale in the coopers brew kit. It's confusing the hell out of me, every set of instructions seems to be conflicting. One set says add the brew sugar and concentrate before pitching the yeast, but a recommendation on the booklet in the can says it's better to use the Brew Enhancer 2 in place of the brew sugar.

Does this mean I add both, or the brew enhancer 2 replaces the brew sugar?

The brew enhancer 2 will replace the sugar.

Pitch both the can and the brew enhancer before pitching the yeast.

Best Kit + Kilo I have done.. easy and comes out good.

Cheers mate, tis clear now!

The book in the kit and the video seem to be a tad different too...in the video he gives the yeast a stir after pitching, whereas in the instruction book it says to pitch yeast and seal immediately

You can stir if you want, I don't bother anymore.

Either way works, maybe give it a littler stir if you want just to mix up a bit!

I always give my beer a stir once the yeast is in. It helps oxygenate the wort and oxygen is needed for the yeast to do its job. I reckon a whisk works well. for that.

the coopers pale ale is a nice, easy brew. In the members area of the coopers website, Paul (coopers' brewman) states that it is even better when brewed with 500g of their light malt extract and 250g of dext instead of brew enhancer2.
thats how i do it and its great.
i also like the yeast that they use for this kit as it seems a bit more unassuming than most kit yeasts.

disregard the info they give you regarding suitable fermentation temp as well.
keep the brew at a low temp 18 - 20c is optimal for coopers.

We beat the mixed wort well with a (sanitised) egg whisk before pitching, and give another light whisk after. Works a treat, much better than just stirring with a paddle.

Backlane Brewery said:
We beat the mixed wort well with a (sanitised) egg whisk before pitching, and give another light whisk after. Works a treat, much better than just stirring with a paddle.
Who does the beating, Shirley or Tracey :ph34r:

yeah right.
Tracey & Shirley are the only two women who ever get mentioned by name on this site, or who seem to have any input to anyone's brewing. The rest are all just "SWMBO", or "the missus".

A bit of respect wouldn't go astray.

(gets off soapbox) Whoever is putting the brew down does the beating.

BLB out for today.

The best results that I have had with aeration are with an air pump and air stone. I used to beat the beejeesus out of my wort with a whisk until I found a $9 airstone and pump kit in the fishing section of Kmart. It runs on a D size battery and has made a massive difference to the lag period before significant yeast activity. I will usually pitch the yeast and then drop the airstone/hose into the wort through the airlock hole in the fermentor lid and close it loosely. I'll leave it to run for a half hour and then seal normally.

Usually within 8 hours the little bugger is singing away happily. I guess the other big factor here is that I use liquid yeasts that have been built up - Coopers yeast is an animal when it gets going but you can't get anywhere near the diversity of styles.

Moral of the story: get an air pump...

Chatty

This brew is coming along quite nicely...been 3 days and the wort is sitting at 18-22C according to the thermometer, and the froth from the 1st couple of days has disappeared and the brew is fizzing away, but cant hear really any bubbling of the airlock. I spose this is due to a lower temp, which is better anyway

I presume it's going as per normal!

gday guys

the brew on at the moment doesnt seem to be bubbling through the airlock (not when i've been in the room anyway), wort temp is 18-22C. Made sure seal is airtight. First 2 days there was a thick froth on top, which settled and cleared then started slowly fizzing. Now seems to have slowed down

Just to make sure it's going ok...do you guys think it's working properly...i'm not totally convinced! Havent done a gravity reading yet as at this temp it seems to take 6 days or so....

Any help appreciated!

coopers yeast seems to take 3 or 4 days at about 24c so 18-22 should be a couple more at least. it wont hurt to leave it a few days longer. are you going to cold condition it or bottle it straight away ? visually check to see if there's any pressure in the airlock. then do a gravity reading.

cheers

I usually do a gravity check every couple of days, just to see how things are progressing. The airlock bubbling isn't as good an indicator.

Sounds like everything is coming along fine.

Just did a reading- came out 1016

Still a few days yet if it works ok

Back