Quick Oats - usage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yuz

Reaction score
Hey Brewers,

Wondering if I could use Quick / unmalted Oats as part of the base.
75% ale malt and the rest - quick oats, will I get reasonable sugars from this?

The starch is already partly gelatinised. There are many relevant old threads on forums, e.g., Do I Need To Cook Rolled Oats Before Mashing?. The majority opinion seems to be you do not need to cook them before mashing, as you might rolled oats. I've tossed them uncooked into NEIPA mashes and got high mash efficiencies, but the percentage was always <ten.

Hey Brewers,

Wondering if I could use Quick / unmalted Oats as part of the base.
75% ale malt and the rest - quick oats, will I get reasonable sugars from this?
I have used 20% in Irish stout along with 10% roast barley. Use a high diastatic power Ale malt with high % of unmalted.

Last edited:
I might trial a small batch first, a single stage mash as usual to see how this works.
But I do want a fairly high oat content - for a winter stout.
Thanks!

I use Traditional Uncle Toby's Oats. I, and some others, think you get better body than with Quick Oats (which have been treated to be "quick"). Others might have different views/experiences.

I usually throw 500g of no name rolled oats into my hazy beers plus another 500g malted wheat. Then around 150g of rice hulls to help with efficiency.

Latest posts

Back