Quick No Chill Apa Feedback

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A3k

Reaction score
Hi all,
i'm going to be making a No Chill APA this afternoon.

Whilst i've always No Chilled, i've been usually had most of my bittering from the 60min addition, and recently have been doing mini boils to get the flavour.

tonight i'm making an APA for me and a mate. to simplify it for him, i don't want to

Hi all,
i'm going to be making a No Chill APA this afternoon.

Whilst i've always No Chilled, i've been usually had most of my bittering from the 60min addition, and recently have been doing mini boils to get the flavour.

tonight i'm making an APA for me and a mate. to simplify it for him, i don't want him to do a mini-boil.

To get more flavour, I'm considering the following recipe. there are no bittering additions due to the bittering associated with no-chill.

I've assumed 10mins extra for all additions and 8min for cube hopping.

Weird ammouts are due to me downscaling from 70L (which i'm actually brewing)

--------------------------

Batch Size: 23.00 L

Boil Size: 29.04 L

Estimated OG: 1.049 SG

Estimated Color: 15.3 EBC

Estimated IBU: 34.6 IBU

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amount Item Type % or IBU

3.61 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 75.10 %

0.49 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 10.24 %

0.26 kg Amber Malt, Bairds (120.0 EBC) Grain 5.46 %

0.25 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 5.10 %

0.20 kg Abbey Malt (Weyermann) (45.0 EBC) Grain 4.10 %

11.61 gm Amarillo/Galaxy/Simcoe Split [11.30 %] (25mins) Hops 9.8 IBU

11.61 gm Amarillo/Galaxy/Simcoe split [11.30 %] (20mins) Hops 8.5 IBU

11.61 gm Amarillo/Galaxy/Simcoe split [11.30 %] (15mins) Hops 7.0 IBU

11.61 gm Amarillo/Galaxy/Simcoe split [11.30 %] (10mins) Hops 5.1 IBU

11.61 gm Amarillo/Galaxy/Simcoe split [11.30 %] (8mins) Hops 4.2 IBU

3.86 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc

6.44 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc

0 Pkgs Denny's Favorite (WYeast Labs #1450) Yeast-Ale

Does anyone have any feedback on how they think this will work out... i'm using Tinseth, which give about 10IBU higher than Rager. My main concern here is that the IBUs will be way off, or i'll have too much/too little flavour.

Cheers,

Al

Little off topic but since you mentioned it... Tried my first beer using Rager instead of Tinseth last night, perfect. Was the first beer in ages that didn't seem too bitter for the calulated IBU.

I reckon it would be interesting to put a temperature data logger in, or on, a No Chill cube. I just wonder how long they may stay above 80oC or isomerisation temps? In my limited experience with the process I am speculating that it may be longer than 10 minutes in my case. It sounds like you speak from experience, particulalry with cube wort hopping being given 8 minutes. So +10 and 8 minutes work good for you?

It's been a while since I no chilled flavor additions. I use to use 15 mins, but it's bloody freezing today.

I could be well off the ibus.

Yeah, I always work on 15 min but when I cube hop that will usually be my only addition so I dunno if that'll end up being all that comparable to your '8 min' addition. If you know what I mean? Having said that, your recipe looks like it'll be about right to me.

Would be a good idea to try the temp logger. Might see if I can get one some day.

Using high alpha hops as no chill late hops has thrown me a bit

I've used all those hops (even that combo if memory serves) in the cube and they work fine - certainly not overly aggressive. I've found that Simcoe can get a touch grassy with this method but probably not with your cube schedule.

Awesome, cheers bum. Reckon I'll either keep as is or back it off a little.

That was the confidence booster I needed...

Damn I hate posting from my phone

You could NC the lot minus the later hop additions, the use Argon's method with a 3L second boil and late hop addition prior to pitching.

Hi Raven,
yeah, that's pretty much the method i've been doing lately.
the only reason i don't want to do that is because my mate is taking 23 litres of the 70 litre batch. He's rather new, so i don't know if he'll want to do the boil.

maybe i should tell him to harden up and do it. it's not that hard hey.

Well I just cubed the tripple batch. Only added the60 min additions, and will do the flavour in a smaller boil.

Of course the first time I show this guy by brewery I get a huge stuck sparge. Think I just learnt the limits of my mash tun.

Latest posts

Back