Quick Kegging Co2 Bottle Question.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boingk

Reaction score
Just wanting to know if an old Soda Stream CO2 bottle would be appropriate for a home kegging system running a single keg?

Cheers guys - boingk

By old Soda Stream bottle I assume the 330g ones?

If so, using the CO2 calc from my website
Carb and Dispense 2.7 kegs
or Carb only 3.8 kegs
or Dispense only 9.2 kegs

Would it be appropriate, that's up to you and how long the kegs would last you. It is a very expensive way of getting CO2.

It would be good as a dispensing bottle for a party keg. I have seen some cool rigs in eskis with the bottle neatly tucked in and tap on the outside.

Cheers fellas will pass it on to my brother - he's setting up a home bar the lucky devil. Will most likely go for a larger size in the 1~3kg range.

Cheers - boingk

By old Soda Stream bottle I assume the 330g ones?

If so, using the CO2 calc from my website
Carb and Dispense 2.7 kegs
or Carb only 3.8 kegs
or Dispense only 9.2 kegs

Would it be appropriate, that's up to you and how long the kegs would last you. It is a very expensive way of getting CO2.

Is your CO2 calculator realistic?

6.8kg gives 52.6 kegs carb and dispense.

Does anyone get anywhere near that?

Does it take into account the 19 litres at 75kpa of co2 left in the keg when its empty?

A 6.8kg cyldinder has about 20 times more co2 than a 330ml sodastream bottle. Based on this math alone, that would mean using your rate of 52.6 kegs, the 330g volume would result in 2.63 kegs for carbing and dispensing - not far off Kev's calculations.

You have to figure out if anyone close by will do REFILLS and what they charge as well as how often you will have to refill based on consumption rate before you can assess whether the small cyldiner is worth the saving up front. 2.6kg bottle exchanges are widely availble - even shitty little extract-only home brew shops do swaps for this size.

If you're like me and only blow a keg every few months (unless hosting a party), then 300-500g co2 would be fine if you have a refiling station near by, but if you can spare the upfront, 2.6kg is a superior option. Also, you can get Diemans 540g cyldiners that are regulator ready (ie no $30 adaptor required) for $65 delivered, so Sodastream really isn't really a very good option, regardless.

Does it take into account the 19 litres at 75kpa of co2 left in the keg when its empty?

look at it this way, 1kg of co2 is approx 500 litres at atmospheric pressure

a 19 litre keg will absorb 47.5 L (2.5 x 19L) to carbonate at 2.5 volumes, plus another 19L to dispense

so all up approx 66.5L per keg

the remaining gas in the empty keg is allowed for in the 19L that was used to dispense it, although its probably more than 19L because its above atmospheric pressure

deduct any useage for flushing lines, purging headspace, killing cane toads etc

Yep, thats why it states carb and dispense.

With no leaks 6.8kg is a sh!t load of gas for a home user.
And it's a sh!t load if you get a leak.

I run 2 x 2.3 kg bottles (I think one is actually 2.6) and it's very rare I need to fill them up... even thou the local filling station no longer has a pump so I can only get 1.7kg in them on a good day.

look at it this way, 1kg of co2 is approx 500 litres at atmospheric pressure

a 19 litre keg will absorb 47.5 L (2.5 x 19L) to carbonate at 2.5 volumes, plus another 19L to dispense

so all up approx 66.5L per keg

the remaining gas in the empty keg is allowed for in the 19L that was used to dispense it, although its probably more than 19L because its above atmospheric pressure

deduct any useage for flushing lines, purging headspace, killing cane toads etc

Very important point.

A few brewers love to purge the air heaps of times from the keg, and some also use CO2 for filtering, cleaning tap and lines, etc all is extra CO2. The calc is the best world example with no leak or any other usage of the CO2.

QldKev

Yes I get the maths.
But my question is does anyone actually get 50 kegs from a bottle?

I get about 30 from 6.8kg.

I don't use co2 to push cleaner around.

Maybe you waste more than you think burping the air out.

Yes I get the maths.
But my question is does anyone actually get 50 kegs from a bottle?

I get about 30 from 6.8kg.

I don't use co2 to push cleaner around.

Maybe you waste more than you think burping the air out.

I have not measured it for a few years, but I do remember when I first got the 2.6kg bottle I got over 20 from it. But I am pretty tight with the gas, and often drop the CO2 line once the keg is down to the last 1/4.

I have not measured it for a few years, but I do remember when I first got the 2.6kg bottle I got over 20 from it. But I am pretty tight with the gas, and often drop the CO2 line once the keg is down to the last 1/4.

I have 2 x 2.6kg bottles and also pretty tight on gas use. I would say 20 x 19L kegs for 2.6kg is pretty accurate to my use.

I love that calc Kev!!.. but stuffed if I can get your hangman working. everytime I click on a letter the thing resets! (sorry for going OT)

I have 2 x 2.6kg bottles and also pretty tight on gas use. I would say 20 x 19L kegs for 2.6kg is pretty accurate to my use.

I love that calc Kev!!.. but stuffed if I can get your hangman working. everytime I click on a letter the thing resets! (sorry for going OT)

:icon_offtopic:
I just tried it, using firefox on ubuntu. Seems to work ok, just a horrible screen refresh. I need to pull my finger out and update it without the refresh.

What platform are you running on?

QldKev

:icon_offtopic: Firefox at home but am on IE 7 at work (now). lol got bored so thought it would be good to pass the time a bit.

Back