Quick Keg Filler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulmclaren11

Reaction score
Fellow brewers,

I normally BIAB but as my guests and I over Xmas and new year cleaned out 3 of my 4 kegs I am now looking for a quick keg filler until I have time to do an AG brew.

I have a tin of Coopers Canadian Blonde and I am seeking advice from those who may regularly brew this kit.

Looking for a easy summer swiller and I am thinking of this recipe:

Mid Summer Blonde:

Coopers Canadian Blonde
500g Light Dry Malt
10-15g Citra (or another suggested US hop) @ 5 mins
Maybe a dry hop addition depending post FG tastes..
Notto Yeast

I understand this kit already has an IBU of about 25-26 so I am happy with this as a swiller.

Critique away!

Looks good to me, are you just going to boil the Citra for 5 minutes in water, or with the LME/DME? Maybe just dry hop it, you'll get away with no boil at all. As you say the blonde already has 27 IBU's.

Also, how much you mixing up to? With 20 litres you'll only get 4%ish outa 500gm of DME. Up it to 1kg and you should be spot on about 5% if priming.

I think it's 21 IBU, I think citra will be nice.

**Removed some.. I was too slow on the ABV comment.**

I think it's 21 IBU, I think citra will be nice.
The less water you add to the kit the less you dilute the IBU's of course. With 20 litres I have it as 26 IBU's, which is ok for a Blonde I guess.

Looks good to me, are you just going to boil the Citra for 5 minutes in water, or with the LME/DME? Maybe just dry hop it, you'll get away with no boil at all. As you say the blonde already has 27 IBU's.

Also, how much you mixing up to? With 20 litres you'll only get 4%ish outa 500gm of DME. Up it to 1kg and you should be spot on about 5% if priming.

Mix to about 20-21lts - I am aiming for a mid so happy with 3.8 - 4%

Yeah wasn't sure about the boil, initial thoughts was a 5 min boil with the LDM... but the no boil and quick brew day does make me think maybe 15-20g of Citra dry hopped.

Cheers.

My fav kit brew is:

1 tin Canadian Blonde
500g Dry malt (I use Amber but Light would be fine)
500g Honey
15g Cascade (any fruity hop would be fine though IMO)
US05

Cheers

My fav kit brew is:

1 tin Canadian Blonde
500g Dry malt (I use Amber but Light would be fine)
500g Honey
15g Cascade (any fruity hop would be fine though IMO)
US05

Cheers

Is the Cascade dry hopped or boiled?

I just did a "Canned Blonde" just because Christmas as well, got it ready for Aussie Day.

It was :-
1 tin x Canadian blonde
1kg x Dry Malt
40g x Liberty hops
250g x Honey

Super light and way too easy to drink IMO :lol:

Seems like a few here like to fall back on this tin for a quick fix.

Will just dry hop 20g of Citra instead of the boil, bloody love this hop :icon_drool2: can't see how it can go wrong!

see if the lhbs has some fwt's

or a "better" kit (ESB 3kg or the like)

Fellow brewers,

I normally BIAB but as my guests and I over Xmas and new year cleaned out 3 of my 4 kegs I am now looking for a quick keg filler until I have time to do an AG brew.

I have a tin of Coopers Canadian Blonde and I am seeking advice from those who may regularly brew this kit.

Looking for a easy summer swiller and I am thinking of this recipe:

Mid Summer Blonde:

Coopers Canadian Blonde
500g Light Dry Malt
10-15g Citra (or another suggested US hop) @ 5 mins
Maybe a dry hop addition depending post FG tastes..
Notto Yeast

I understand this kit already has an IBU of about 25-26 so I am happy with this as a swiller.

Critique away!

Quickest keg fillers are Fresh Wort Kits (FWK) ;)

Quickest keg fillers are Fresh Wort Kits (FWK) ;)
OP already has a tin from the looks. And FWK's are twice the price, no? But you do get a handy container to use again.

Yes already I already have the kit and my local HBS doesn't stock FWK's....

I do have some AG beer on tap so not all is lost.

Low ABV Wheat beer. Can go from brewday to glass in a week...
Aye to that, my first ever hefe, Thomas Coopers wheat tin, 500gm DME, 300 dex, wb-06 yeast done to 19 litres. No boil, fermented in 5 days, fully carbed in 4 days. And that was ~4.8%. Very, very drinkable and that was before I had a brewfridge, so fermentation bounced between about 19 and 23 degrees. Didn't seem to matter.

If you don't have dme/dex lying around, just buy an all in one brew enhancer (like Coopers BE2) and add another 2 litres of water.

Back