Quick Hops Growing Angle Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevc

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to consult some of the more experienced growers on this one.

I've tried my friend Google, as always, but couldn't find an answer quickly.

What's the minimum practical angle that Hops will tolerate and cling to for climbing? I'm currently setting up a lattice of twine on my balcony, and have limited space. I'm going to try to train to them grow in a zig-zag formation up the wall. If they gain height too quickly, they'll be curling off the ceiling.

Thanks for any insights or advice. I'll be doing more research and reading later, but was trying to rig this thing up today :)

Cheers

Bloke they will grow horizontally if you train them. Sorry can't help regarding angle for self sufficient climbing.
Cheers
Doug

you could have a sort of espalier ...
N horizontal wires across your balcony, each higher than the last, and N shoots come out of the pot (or may Nx2, 1 for each side) and train each shoot along the horizontal wires.
Apples bear more when they are like this, maybe hops will too!

Here's an espaliered apple ...
espalier.jpg

Difference with hops is you would take the shoots from the bottom and not laterals growing from a main trunk.
oh and hops loop around "heliotropically". They might not like being horizontal.

I reckon it will look great! Especially if your balcony faces north, it will give great summer shade that disappears in autumn!

Here's a quote ...
"I grow some of mine vertically, some along a chainlink fence. There's no noticeable difference in production, though the horizontal ones produce much larger cones, and they are not as old as the vertical ones. Also the horizontals are much easier to harvest."

from here

Interesting. I'll see how far I can push them. That's my plan so far :)

It's a north facing balcony, and the POR is really loving the perfect cooler QLD winter weather.

how well do you get on with them up stairs ? could just run a few strings up to their balcony and harvest from up there... LOL

good luck with them , wish we could grow hops this far north. :(

cheers

I ran mine about 60 degrees (from vertical) across to a fence (about 1m away) and they happily grew up that altho i did have to manually train them along it. Once they hit the vertical part they train themselves. The higher the better IMO but they still grow on angles. I 'should' pull my finger out and increase the height of my fence now that my hops are in their 2nd year. Last year, 2m was adequate, i doubt it will cut the mustard this year.

It will be interesting to see how they go. One plant is going up at a very low, horizontal angle. The other is at 45 or so, and the other is a bit beyond. When they get bigger, I'll get pics going again. Here's a shot from just before the new twine setup:

hops.jpg

I know this is a bit O/T, but have I got any hope of growing hops in Kalgoorlie? I have a feeling it may be a bit hot here.

Not sure.... but I know mine got a bit sun-burned on an unusually hot winter day. You can see it on some of the bottom leaves still. This was when they were much smaller, but it still makes me concerned about summer.

The soil is very well drained, I added perlite and other stuff to it. They can be watered quite often without being too damp. I figured more frequent watering would help.

Latest posts

Back