• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Quick help . CHINOOK whole cone bittering. Mashing NOW

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

garage_life

Reaction score
I don't have the bittering hops for my brew (Warrior) I just mashed in.

Going to use the 7g of CTZ I have on hand and some home grown Chinook cones to sub 15g of Warrior, probably another 7-10g, not to picky on biterness for this one.

Should I remove the bittering hops after say 5mins to reduce any off flavour from the cones,
I assume all the oils will have broken of the vegetal matter by then?

Am I just being paranoid, they weren't the most amazing hops last harvest of the batch, never used whole cones as bittering additions.

Quick yes or no appreciated!

Danscraftbeer

Reaction score
Probably too late now how did it go? Brewed with home grown hops a lot I rate my Chinook around 9% AA. Have used them for all boil time additions.

garage_life

Reaction score
Probably too late now how did it go? Brewed with home grown hops a lot I rate my Chinook around 9% AA.
Threw 11g whole chinook in and pulled them out after 20mins + the ctz. Lots of 0 and whirlpool so bitterness will be fine, only a very pale session ale type brew. Experimental Taiheke brew more than anything, tastes ok into the ferm. Thanks for the reply!

Latest posts