Quick, Help Boys

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no! :blink:
You left the lid on the cooker top - you probably didn't clean the range down beforehand and last nights food remnants would have stuck to the lid rim and got caught up in the boil....
You better play it safe and send the brew to me and MAH for scientific analysis immediately after you have bottled it (bulk primed with some amber DME, please) :ph34r:
Cheers,
TL :p ^_^ ;)

:eek:
YOU GUYS, your all a bunch of big ol tricksters :wacko:

Just to finish off,
Whats the go with HOT BREAK, i did not appear to get it. At least not like J Palmer explains it, like egg drop soup.

Don't sweat it - sometimes it isn't so obvious (like in Palmer's photo) because of a number of factors - the boil isn't that vigorous, you have a large surface area (which you have - look at the steam coming off the boil in your photo), when you added your hops, the amount of protein present in the mashed wort, etc etc.

When you transferred from the kettle to the fermenter, you should have seen a fair bit of break material with the hops - it would have appeared to be a sloppy goo or sediment in the bottom of the kettle - I whirlpool my kettle to create a pile of break material and hop residue in the middle of the kettle and rack the wort from the edge of the kettle through my counterflow chiller.
Don't freak if its in the fermenter, but it's good to try and rack the boiled wort off most of that - although some of it in the fermenter makes a good nutrient base for the yeast...

Regardless, you've done the 60 minute boil and thats whats important.
Cheers,
TL

THanks mate, i feal heaps better now. And i am only up to my 2nd king brown. The Czech pilsener.
I also bought all the fixings for my Oktoberfest today. So next time i got 4 or 5 hours thats going down too.

Top darts SJW!! Looks like you've had a top day. Hope the beer turns out great. All we need now is for those MIGHTY KNIGHTS to beat the evil BRONCOS on Sunday - while you are downing some more Czech Pilsner if you like - and you'll have the perfect weekend :D :D :chug:

Shawn.

Thanks Shawn,
Go the Knights

After careful analysis i think the reason why i only got 50% efficiency with this one was due to the fact that i Fly sparged way too fast. The drain & sparge was all done in about 10 mins.
I think next time i will go the Batch sparge.

Hard luck Gough, turns out that the Knights are no good with fatarse out.

Lets Go Bronco's!

dreamboat

Fair enough Dreamboat, although the video ref didn't help our cause! I was at the game and the first Broncos try after halftime was just awesome. Try of the year IMO, especially in the awful conditions. Was a good game and we're 1 all for the season (even without fatarse!) - bring on the semis!!

Shawn.

This is the hop utilisation chart from the VicBrew 2002 book.

hops.jpg

Back