Quick Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattress

Reaction score
G'day guys,
Just need to check something.

Made my 3rd A/G BIAB last Saturday, based on the Skunk Fart Ale recipe on the database. Was a little bit off with my numbers and ended up with an OG of 1060.
All of my brews so far have had trouble reaching their FG, the last couple have got there with a bit of swirling and 2 weeks in the ferm fridge. I've been reading that under-pitching can cause problems, stressing the yeast, so I decided to up the ante with this brew.

Made a 2 litre starter with the Wyeast American Ale 2. Don't have a stirplate yet so used O2 in the starter and regular swirling. Pitched the yeast Saturday afternoon at 24 degrees, some water and Starsan in the airlock (I know, I know. I'm still using an airlock) and in the fridge set at 18.

Had a check on Sunday. The Starsan is blowing bubbles in the fridge and the Airlock is just about empty. Put some water in and had trouble keeping this in as well, kept blowing out. I thought, well at least the yeast is working.

Checked today, (Tuesday) and the activity had stopped and the water had settled. I decided to test a sample with the hydrometer just to see where it was at. It is now 1014.

Will this quick a fermentation have any effect on the beer? (3 days from 1060 to 1014) I still plan to leave it in the fermenter for another week yet (unless advised otherwise)

I seem to have gone from one end to the other with yeast.

Should also add I added O2 to the Wort and yeast nutrient during the boil.

The faster the fermentation the better.
Just means you had a good dose of happy and healthy yesties :)
Whats the target FG you were aiming for? 1014 is a good result in my eyes, and nothing better then a big nasty vigorous fermentation!

Does it taste good?

I'd say RDWAHAHB

:icon_cheers:

QldKev

The faster the fermentation the better.
Just means you had a good dose of happy and healthy yesties :)
Whats the target FG you were aiming for? 1014 is a good result in my eyes, and nothing better then a big nasty vigorous fermentation!

Recipe DB saya FG of 1015, so I'm happy with where its at.

Does it taste good?

I'd say RDWAHAHB

:icon_cheers:

QldKev

smells and tastes fine, maybe a little bit grainy at this stage.

Had to look up what RDWAHAHB meant. I'm following that piece of advice now :D

Thanks for your help guys.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Quite the opposite. You've obviously created the perfect environment for the yeasties to thrive and chow down.

Well done sir!

I regularly get fermentations done and dusted in around 4 days using Nottingham, but that yeast has a reputation for being quick, so no surprises there.

Agree with the others.
If you don't reach close to terminal gravity in 4 days, in most cases with an ale yeast at ale temps, then you need to review your yeast practices.
Leaving it for the extra week to clean up and clear is also the way to go IMO.
Sounds all good to me.

Good my saison with farmhouse ale starter went from 1046 to 1008 in 6 days!!!

I always reccommend using yeast nutrients.

Together with a starter you know you are going to get the best out of your yeast.

A quick, vigorous fermentation means the yeasties are happy, and you get to bottle quicker too ;)

Back