Quick Disconnect Barb Stuck Of Cornelius Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evildrakey

Reaction score
I was doing a 'test run' and had a Quick Disconnect Barb on the Keg's beer out connected to a Bronco Faucet with Curly Hose - now I forgot to put a stepless clamp on the end, knocked off the tap and shot 10L of water in the keg straight out of the quick release...

Now the sodding thing's stuck on the Keg and wont come off... Any ideas?

lube it up with some ky, and try to get it to move. I get disconnects stuck on the posts sometimes, they get sticky with beer

maybe you can screw the poppet off and soak it or try putting it in the fridge maybe

maybe you can screw the poppet off and soak it or try putting it in the fridge maybe

Screwing to poppet off... Feck...

Deep socket wrench wont do... My shifting spanner is too big too...

You know to lift up the collar on the disconnect to disengage the balllock right?

You didn't put a gas barb on the beer out , did you ? I think they are slightly smaller / slightly different...back in the day , I did just this and had to butcher the disconnect to get it off....

You know to lift up the collar on the disconnect to disengage the balllock right?

I wondered this as well but thought surely not.

You didn't put a gas barb on the beer out , did you ? I think they are slightly smaller / slightly different...back in the day , I did just this and had to butcher the disconnect to get it off....

+1, this was my first thought too

QldKev

Multigrips

I've noticed the newer QDs doing the rounds at the moment (white rather than grey gas ones, black beer ones) are terrible, and are doing exactly the same thing to me. They seem to have bare metal barbs rather than the old ones that maybe had a plastic coating.

Done that before myself, but at lest I could get it off easily enough.

I've noticed the newer QDs doing the rounds at the moment (white rather than grey gas ones, black beer ones) are terrible, and are doing exactly the same thing to me. They seem to have bare metal barbs rather than the old ones that maybe had a plastic coating.

Sounds like a cheap imported knock off, who sold you those, ebay buy?

?

If it is the correct disconect and the problem being caused by a build up of sugars I'd probably try soaking it in pwb over night, by loading the line/disconect with pwb internally and emersing it externally. Worth a try anyway.

It was one of these... beer disconnect

We were doing a test run with water in the keg... Taps WERE the right way around... But I think we cracked it up to 500psi (yeah, I know - WAY too high) and the bronco tap shot off, and the contents of the keg (10-15L) of water shot out the disconnect... Now it's jammed on real tight... I'll try tonight with some multigrips...

We were doing a test run with water in the keg... Taps WERE the right way around... But I think we cracked it up to 500psi (yeah, I know - WAY too high) and the bronco tap shot off, and the contents of the keg (10-15L) of water shot out the disconnect... Now it's jammed on real tight... I'll try tonight with some multigrips...

Christ, lucky the damn keg did not burst on you and shred you to bits with shrapnel. Not sure what they are rated to, but 500psi sounds quite unreasonable.

I find pressure actually makes it easier to remove a disconnect, they literally pop off :-\

does make it harder to connect them though!

(I actually cracked a thumbnail once when I hit the top of the fridge while removing one)

If you've never used this disconnect with beer etc, then its probably not gummed up with sugars :)

It is also possible for the beer/liquid posts to be installed in the wrong positions on a keg...

I did see one of those white knock-off disconnects in an HB store, it was torn apart as someone had brought it in for assistance from the proprietor who helped rip it off with pliers and then the poor fella bought a proper one :)

Make sure you are lifting the collar and then if you can't pull it off, get something to lever it off, like a flat head screw driver.

070c9_220px-Kegwiki14.jpg

Latest posts

Back