Questions RE partial mashing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewCarey82

"Baron Hardmans" Chief brewer.
Reaction score
Hey Guy.

I want to make my brew days easier.

After I mash my grains which will be 2.5kgs in total, If I mash and then sparge them, then move into a 2nd container, can I keep this for 3-7 days if sealed in sanitised containers before using in my partial? Main reason I don't have a reason for a quick cool and if I could let it cool naturally that would save me a headache.

Plan would be to than when ready for brew do, do my boil for hops and combine rest of ingredients.

To me wouldn't be any different to fresh wort kits?

Have little kids so if I can break up my brew day makes life easier.

Also for a partial, any benefit in using whirlifoc tablets or just overkill.

Cheers in advance guys. Really enjoy partaking in everyones knowledge.

The big difference between storing sweet wort and a FWK is about an hour of boiling.
If you have ever smelt expended grain the next day you will know it isn't sterilised, it goes sour real quick.
I wouldn't be heading down that path.

Sounds like you are making 12.5 or so litres of wort, you could look at making some sweet wort that has higher than normal amount of your specialty ingredients, boiling it for an hour or more with or without bittering hops, even adding taste and aroma hops. Then packaging that in 3-4L bottles hot, making 3-4 fresh wort kits, then using 1 of those in a brew at a later date. If you are doing this you would be thinking of using your Whirlfloc/BrewBright... as part of the boil
You will need to do some planning to get the right bitterness and balance but it would be doable.
Mark

Mate if I was only using 3-4 days later, could I just store the wort in 1 container after doing the boil?

After its boiled, no-chilled (allowed to cool in a closed container), you can keep it for as short a time as you like (or for up to a year), I'm just hoping you don't mean open it up and use some rather than all!
So I suppose yes, is the answer, just don't really see how it will change your brew day much. If you do your mini mash, boil, then add your LME/BME/DEX/Sugar...using the hot wort to dissolve and sterilise your adjunct. You could cool some water down in the fridge overnight, (the other half) let the wort cool some and then add the refrigerated water to get the temperature down pretty fast.
Mark

Mate mainly its to do with temp control I should have clarified I have 1 dead bar fridge that is good at maintaining 18-20 degree's, and another with a STC controller that's my cold conditioning bar fridge that I do the dycetal rest and cold conditioning in.

My logic is if I have the grains mashed and hopped, then after I bottle normally after the kids are in bed I can whip the rest of it together quickly.

And yes would use all at once.

Latest posts

Back