Questions Re B.a.b.b S Comp 2012

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
With the exception of one brew, all my beers will be bottle conditioned this year. Is there an option to have some entries cold stored and others at room temperature? I seem to remember that all had to go in the chiller last year.

If entering a specialty beer do the judges get to know what the beer actually IS ? For example last year I entered an American Malt Liquor but it seemed that the only information I was able to convey to judges on the label was "specialty ingredient". Really there's no specialty ingredient in many styles as such (as opposed to say blueberries or honey etc etc).

Here's a classic example. Until this year there was no class for an American Amber but several comments were made "well you can always enter it as a specialty class". So how was this done whilst ensuring that the judges were aware of exactly what they were being offered?

Yes, I see in the competition entry form there is a field for "description" but nothing on the label. Is this "description" passed onto the judges at the time, doesn't seem to be an area for it on the label itself. Would like this to be clarified.

With the exception of one brew, all my beers will be bottle conditioned this year. Is there an option to have some entries cold stored and others at room temperature? I seem to remember that all had to go in the chiller last year.

If entering a specialty beer do the judges get to know what the beer actually IS ? For example last year I entered an American Malt Liquor but it seemed that the only information I was able to convey to judges on the label was "specialty ingredient". Really there's no specialty ingredient in many styles as such (as opposed to say blueberries or honey etc etc).

Here's a classic example. Until this year there was no class for an American Amber but several comments were made "well you can always enter it as a specialty class". So how was this done whilst ensuring that the judges were aware of exactly what they were being offered?

Yes, I see in the competition entry form there is a field for "description" but nothing on the label. Is this "description" passed onto the judges at the time, doesn't seem to be an area for it on the label itself. Would like this to be clarified.
Get as much info as you can onto the label and it usually gets to the judges, or else they will ask for more info if there isn't enough on the bottle.
When judging the specialty class the judges can get extra information about the style, I've seen this done for american amber in the past when it wasn't in its own class.

Thanks Ben, I could always make the label a bit more visual to leave the judges in no doubt :)
I'll ring Ross working hours, he'll know about the storage arrangements.

colt_45.jpg

Latest posts

Back