Questions on my toucan stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mfc

Reaction score
Hi just putting down a toucan [c stout ,dark ale ,500gm ldme , 700gm dextrose....I like the higher abv in stouts...the ldme is an attempt to get a better head and feel ..
Now .....I used the kit yeasts [broke as].well mixed its 1058 og.
The packaging suggests fermenting between 21 and 28, somehow I feel that if I water bath it I can keep the bath at 16 c so the brew is going to be 18 or over.
1/ is this a better approach for better quality uniformity or should I let it ferment faster and higher temp wise?
2/ after I’ve hit fg should I leave it in the fermenter another week or so? Benefits ?
At the moment I can’t decant to a second fermenter as I don’t have one..
And what sort of time should I age it for
Cheers mark

Hi just putting down a toucan [c stout ,dark ale ,500gm ldme , 700gm dextrose....I like the higher abv in stouts...the ldme is an attempt to get a better head and feel ..
Now .....I used the kit yeasts [broke as].well mixed its 1058 og.
The packaging suggests fermenting between 21 and 28, somehow I feel that if I water bath it I can keep the bath at 16 c so the brew is going to be 18 or over.
1/ is this a better approach for better quality uniformity or should I let it ferment faster and higher temp wise?
2/ after I’ve hit fg should I leave it in the fermenter another week or so? Benefits ?
At the moment I can’t decant to a second fermenter as I don’t have one..
And what sort of time should I age it for
Cheers mark

Any thoughts on the fg of this concoction?

Ferment your ale yeast as close to as possible 18c (I have mine brewing at 20c or 22c as I have no means to maintain temperature in the cellar).
The higher the temperature you brew at the more esters are produced giving your beer a fruity flavour.

Your original gravity of 1.058 is good for a stout as it would typically ferment down to 1.012 or so, giving you a 6% alcohol beer.
Your final gravity would be the same reading over say four days. At that point you can bottle it, no benefits in leaving it in the fermenter.

Once bottled, any beer improves over time.
Generally after 3 weeks you could try one, but 2 months or so would be ideal (if you can wait that long).

Back