Questions About Oak And Temp..?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilR

Reaction score
Hello to all.

I have a batch of brown ale around 4 days into fermentation and was going to add some Amercian oak chips soaked in wisky to it.
Was looking to get a subtle but slightly noticeable flavour from them
Its a standard 23 litre batch of beer
How much should I add into the secondary..?

Also as I dont currently have a second fridge and thermostat to control temputure so my tempture fluctuates from 16-17c upto 20-21c.
Will this impart any off flavour in my beer..?

Any expert opinions will be appreciated

Cheers..

The trouble with oak is how long to sit on oak will vary according to how big the chip is in surface area. Fine stuff is very quick, chunks are slower. So at a guess, being conservative I'd start with 25-50g and sit for between 4-7 days. You should probably taste test it every couple of days, because once its in there it doesnt fade away with maturation all that quickly. Also, I would add them to the primary to avoid needing a secondary.

Oak and those temperatures wont make a difference, i wouldnt imagine. Just dont do what ive done and add chips into hot wort and no-chill ...epic tannins!

On the oak front I'm going to use 1gram per litre for my ipa that I'm brewing so might be a starting point for you.
Regarding the temp, all depends what yeast is used. If its below 21 and your using an ale yeast I wouldn't imagine any problems but I'm also newish to the game.

Latest posts

Back