Question on trub loss during fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning all,
I put down a kit recipe brew ("hop robber no. 6 from aussiebrewmakers), my 2nd brew and first time using specialty grains and hops. Pitched the yeast about 6pm Sunday.

Woke up this morning (Tuesday, about 36 hours since pitching) to find the fementer had slow leaked about 3.5L of wort out of the tap bung - the thread is super shitty and I had forgotten to pick up some plumbers tape. Amongst all the liquid there was also quite a bit of sediment/slimy foam.

I've save the majority, and it's still bubbling away so it's not a complete loss.

Originally, I had 23L of wort in the fermenter, so I still have 19.5 - enough to fill a keg, but I'm wondering if the loss of all the sediment at the bottom of the fermenter will affect the brew in terms of alcohol content or flavour. Or is this stuff non-fermentable anyway?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers,
Nathan

Hi,

The leak is likely wort, cold break, hop debris and some yeast.

If its already fermenting the abv wont be affected as the remaining wort gravity would not of changed.

You will still get a full keg of your beer.

cheers

Latest posts

Back