Question About Commercial Breweries Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
Can someone tell me if breweries stir the grain as it is mashing?

I have seen a mash tun (small AGers) on the web with a stirring paddle fitted , seems like a good idea too me.

Anyone have any experience in this?

Batz :ph34r:

Not really answering your question here Batz but had a mate in Brisbane who was doing step mashes using steam to heat the grain. He found it very inconsistent and ineffective as the heat didn't seem to rise much. Then he decided to stir it and holy cow the temp shot up past what he was aiming for.
I think if you are going to be heating your mash up what better way than a stirrer with a motor (I'm all for lazy brewing!)

Hoops

That is a big yes Batz.
The have a big stiring mechanism that stirs the mash tun as hot liquor and the grist is added.
I have some pics of a brewery I visited last year somewhere and I think I took a picture of the Mash tun during dough in.
I'll see if I can dig it up.

Yep here one is.

Beers,
Doc

Edit: They also use it to give a gentle stir during the mash too.

Shed22Brewery_002.jpg

Cheers Doc,

I think I'll look into adding a stirrer to stir my mash also , old windscreen wiper motor would do the trick

Batz :ph34r:

Batz said:
I think I'll look into adding a stirrer to stir my mash also , old windscreen wiper motor would do the trick
Sure would.
I have a short video of that one in action too if you want me to email it to you.

Beers,
Doc

The stirrer on my HLT

No its not yours. It is the one from the picture I posted which is the Shed 22 Brewery in Wellington NZ.

I've uploaded it to here in case anyone else wants to download it.
Size is 3.7Mb.

Beers,
Doc

Back