Query About Using Beersmith

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers. I trust were all recovered from Xmas and boxing day well?

I usually use Brewmate but thought I would give beersmith a try as it certainly has a lot more features.
Ive put all the settings into beersmith to match what I have in brewmate as I have them dialled in fairly well now.
But Ive noticed that BeerSmith says to sparge with 21.94 litres at 75.6C. Where as Brewmate says sparge at 85.9C to get a desired sparge temp of 75C.

Where does beersmith get its sparge temperature from?
Also surely hidden somewhere in all these settings in Beersmith there is a timer function like in Brewmate? That's the one thing I really do use in Brewmate. In fact if Brewmate had the ability to setup stepped mashing with timers it would be great. I now have to use my Iphone timer instead just for mashing. And type the steps into the notes section.

I usually use Brewmate but thought I would give beersmith a try as it certainly has a lot more features.
Ive put all the settings into beersmith to match what I have in brewmate as I have them dialled in fairly well now.
But Ive noticed that BeerSmith says to sparge with 21.94 litres at 75.6C. Where as Brewmate says sparge at 85.9C to get a desired sparge temp of 75C.

Also surely hidden somewhere in all these settings in Beersmith there is a timer function like in Brewmate? That's the one thing I really do use in Brewmate. In fact if Brewmate had the ability to setup stepped mashing with timers it would be great. I now have to use my Iphone timer instead just for mashing. And type the steps into the notes section.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Awww.aussiehome...rge+temperature

Latest version of BeerSmith has a brew day timer

Timer section of the recipe. It gets its timing info from the mash profile and recipe.

Ive already searched and the information I foudn was to make sure you have adjust temp for equipment ticked, which I have. but it still gives me a strike temp of actual for my sparge instead of 9-10C higher like it should be. i kow i could work it out manually but wanted to make sure all my settings are working ok and I havent done something wrong.

Thanks Stux might have to get the latest version if Im happy using it.

The first link in donburke's search explicitly answers your question.

If that's not what you're hoping to find, Beersmith has its own forum that I believe is quite active and the developer responds personally, as I understand it.

Ive already searched and the information I foudn was to make sure you have adjust temp for equipment ticked, which I have. but it still gives me a strike temp of actual for my sparge instead of 9-10C higher like it should be. i kow i could work it out manually but wanted to make sure all my settings are working ok and I havent done something wrong.

Thanks Stux might have to get the latest version if Im happy using it.

Don't you have a HERMS/RIMS? Why not ramp up to mash out temp first, before sparging?

The first link in donburke's search explicitly answers your question.

If that's not what you're hoping to find, Beersmith has its own forum that I believe is quite active and the developer responds personally, as I understand it.

Thats the link I was reading. What zoddy says works for mash in but if I go into details under mash profile, then choose the batch sparge options Ive noticed you have to put in your actual strike temp of your sparge water. unlike in Brewmate where you put in your desired sparge temp and it gives you your strike temp. AndrewQLD says the same thing in that post.

Yes Kev your right I do use a 3v herms so it really doesnt matter as I do ramp up to mash out. I geberally just heat my spargew ater up to about 85C then let it sit while Im mashing so it drops a bit anyway.

I was more so wondering if I had a setting wrong or something that it wont automatically calculate sparge water temp based on desired sparge water temp like Brewmate does. If I didnt use a herms and a mash out step I would have to calculate it manually I suppose.

AndrewQLD's image clearly shows the temp differences you're looking for.

You're doing it wrong.

Have you tried Fly sparging Truman? I found that when I changed from batch to fly it didnt matter any more, your spage water is at temp.. the mash is at temp.. you get 2 shades of feck all temp drop.

:icon_cheers:

I do like beersmith for it's ability to keep a track of your stocks.. but I use Brewmate coz Im lazy (but I dont have to worry about sparge temps) :rolleyes:

AndrewQLD's image clearly shows the temp differences you're looking for.

You're doing it wrong.

Yes but that only works for mash stepping and for mash out. When you set your sparge temp at 75.6C tick the batch sparge option and go into preview brew sheet it says this.

sparge.PNG

Exact same temp that I entered as sparge temp with no adjustment for temp loss etc.

You have to manually calculate your temp losses unlike brewmate which works it out for you. No biggie for me but others who dont or cant do a mash out would need to work out their temp loss to make sure they were sparging at the right temperature. With all the fruit that Beersmith has I would have thought it would work this out for you based on your last mash temp etc.

@ yob...Ive considered switching to fly sparging and was talking to Tb about it the other day. I would have to re-design my brew stand to get my HLT high enough and my MLT low enough to allow the sparge water to gravity feed into the MLT.

Tell me with the brown pumps do you find that their flow is slow enough that you can keep the rate it pumps into the ketttle matched to the gravity flow of water from the HLT or do you have to slow it down a bit?

My other problem is my HLT is only 18 litres which is why I double batch sparge. Ive just brought a 24 litre urn from an AHB member but am in the process of replacing the wiring and removing the boil dry etc.

BS does calculate for the temp loss. You prob have something set wrong in "my equipment" or somewhre. If you attach the .bsm file/ equipment file I/ someone might spot the problem

@ yob...Ive considered switching to fly sparging and was talking to Tb about it the other day. I would have to re-design my brew stand to get my HLT high enough and my MLT low enough to allow the sparge water to gravity feed into the MLT.

Tell me with the brown pumps do you find that their flow is slow enough that you can keep the rate it pumps into the ketttle matched to the gravity flow of water from the HLT or do you have to slow it down a bit?

My Setup was designed to be gravity from the HLT to the MT and gravity from the MT to the Keggle... post mash I dont use the pump :rolleyes:

I would think that if using a pump it would have to be restricted by either voltage or ball valve type thingamy.. many people fit ball valves at their pump outlets...

BS does calculate for the temp loss. You prob have something set wrong in "my equipment" or somewhre. If you attach the .bsm file/ equipment file I/ someone might spot the problem

Mine also only will ever show to add water at the mash out temp, and it will not exceed it for a sparge addition. It does calculate strike water additions perfectly including equipment losses. Not calculating a higher sparge water temp is not a problem for me as I always ramp the main mash to mashout temps before attempting to sparge anyway. The issue is only evident if you don't want to ramp the main mash via a temperature or infusion step to mash out temps. If you set it up to drain the mash from say a 66c step, and go straight into the sparge it won't say to add water that will exceed the temp of the final sparge. (default 75.6, so it would say add X liters of water at 75.6c). If you find out what is wrong from Trumans file please let me know. I have always assumed Brad, the same as me, doesn't like the idea of adding water exceeding the safe mashout temps as the grain on top of the mash bed would see temps that could commence extracting astringent compounds.

QldKev

In beersmith1 in the mash profiles, there is a box for you to enter your spargewater temp so you set it yourself. A quick look at beersmith2 shows it has the same thing.

In beersmith1 in the mash profiles, there is a box for you to enter your spargewater temp so you set it yourself. A quick look at beersmith2 shows it has the same thing.

I know where you mean, but in that case you would need to manually calculate it. Truman was after where you enter your target sparge temp and it calculates the sparge water temp. Why do we need to manually calculate a temp when we are using brewing software? Or is it just a case NO water should exceed sparge temps?

Just sparge at 80deg, that's right in the middle of both of them.
You are only rinsing the sugar from the grain so 75,80,85 will be fine if you are batch sparging.

Here is my equipment file. I cant see anything wrong with it.

Equipment BSM file

I know where you mean, but in that case you would need to manually calculate it. Truman was after where you enter your target sparge temp and it calculates the sparge water temp. Why do we need to manually calculate a temp when we are using brewing software? Or is it just a case NO water should exceed sparge temps?
Probably too many variables to be able to accurately predict a sparge water temp for a given mashout temp. Hence entering your desired spargewater temp.

Probably too many variables to be able to accurately predict a sparge water temp for a given mashout temp. Hence entering your desired spargewater temp.

Couldn't it use the same formula it works out the strike water calculation on? It seems to work that out correctly. Just change the grain and vessel temp from the 22c (or what ever setting you have used in the software) to the temp of the last step in the mash? My only guess is Brad/ software programmers don;t want to tell brewers to add really hot water.

Back