Queensland Amateur Brewing Championship 2013

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!

tallie said:
Yep, what HowlingDog said. APA is historically one of the most contested categories, and I'm sure the judges will have enough to get through on the day. If you are interested in feedback, is there a nearby club you could take it to? You might even be able to get someone happy to fill out a score sheet for you there (especially if you provide the scoresheet and the beer!)
I have thought about going to a club, might look into that in the future.

tcc said:
Enter one as an american amber? The styles overlap quite a bit
The second beer tastes a bit more bitter and hoppy and a bit lighter in color, so I was thinking I could enter it as an American IPA? Not sure if I am way off on that, but that style also overlaps as well doesn't it?

Just as a side note, is anyone from out Ipswich way heading to judging on the day? If so, would anyone be up for a 5 min detour to Collingwood Park to give me a lift in...? I only ask as there's no chance of me being able to judge if I have to drive...
Anyway, PM me or respond to the topic if you're kind enough...

Much appreciated!

Cheers

Pocket Beers said:
Hi All,

Yes - this year the QLD State Championships are trying something new. We want all entries to include 2 bottles (1 labeled with the QABC form, 1 labeled with the AABC form).

The AABC 2013 entry form should be uploaded soon. http://www.aabc.org.au

If it is not available at the time you label and pack your entries for the QABC competition, please use the section from last years AABC form (attached) for labeling your second bottle and the QABC comp organisers will look after your entries for both competitions (if you qualify for AABC) from there.

NOTE: Only use the attached form if you cannot wait for this years form to be uploaded onto the AABC site and please disregard the terms and conditions, dates and contact details as these were for last years 2012 AABC comp.

SIMPLES......russian meerkat accent

Cheers,

Dave
Chief Steward QABC 2013

PS - there's still time to brew - you know you want to :p
Dave,
is this sorted yet, AABC entry forms still seems to be unavailable?

elronalds said:
The second beer tastes a bit more bitter and hoppy and a bit lighter in color, so I was thinking I could enter it as an American IPA? Not sure if I am way off on that, but that style also overlaps as well doesn't it?
Yep, there is definitely some overlap between APA and AIPA (see the thread about the new Little Creatures IPA :ph34r: ;) ). Reading the style guidelines will help you decide where it fits best. After all, the style guidelines are exactly what the judges will be going by.

winkle said:
Dave,
is this sorted yet, AABC entry forms still seems to be unavailable?
Sorry, still no update on the AABC side of things. I emailed again yesterday and can only hope it will be up soon.

At the moment Dave's comment still stands; if you are dropping off your entries before this year's AABC form is available on the website, use last year's form in its place (attached above).

Edit: This year's form attached in the next post

Ok sorry I am a bit confused about how to label entries.

I want to enter 5 beers. Does each entry (2 bottles) require a label (bottle description label, taped) on each bottle as well as one qabc and aabc form, attached to one of the two bottles via elastic bands? Or just one qabc and aabc form done in total?

tcc said:
Ok sorry I am a bit confused about how to label entries.

I want to enter 5 beers. Does each entry (2 bottles) require a label (bottle description label, taped) on each bottle as well as one qabc and aabc form, attached to one of the two bottles via elastic bands? Or just one qabc and aabc form done in total?
You need one QABC form in total. Then for each entry, one bottle needs to have the QABC label taped to it, and the other bottle needs the AABC entry form attached by elastic band.

On the unmarked bottles criteria, is that meant as no labels added by the brewer or completely blank bottles?

I only ask because I bottle everything in screen printed Figjam tallies.

Unmarked bottles are important to keep the competition completely fair and free from any bias etc.
The judges actually pour the beer from your actual bottle at the judging table, so we can't have non-standard bottles.
Brown PET or standard unmarked tallies,
Cheers,
Dave

Closing date for QABC 2013 entries is this Saturday.

All the forms are available on the QABC and AABC sites now.

Good luck everyone and I look forward to registering all the entries early next week. in readiness for the comp on the 13 October.

Cheers,

Dave

Just to clarify, have submissions to Brewer's Choice now closed and only Craftbrewer submissions (up until 1pm Saturday 28th) are still open?

I dropped my beers off earlier this week. I understand the overall scores are uploaded on the http://qabc.org.au/ site after the comp. Just wondering if it is possible to get the tasting notes for my beers from the day?

elronalds said:
I dropped my beers off earlier this week. I understand the overall scores are uploaded on the http://qabc.org.au/ site after the comp. Just wondering if it is possible to get the tasting notes for my beers from the day?
Yep, one of the great benefits of entering a comp like this is the feedback you will receive on your beers. Scoresheets (at least two per entry) will be posted soon after the comp. The scores themselves will likely appear here within 24 hours of the comp ending, and posted on qabc.org.au website shortly after that.

One last reminder that entries are due at Craftbrewer by 1pm TODAY!

I may have slightly underestimated how many entries that we would receive this year.....record = smashed...

348 beers..

Thanks to the guys who assisted with the Bottle rego tonight and especially to Ross from Craftbrewer / Bacchus who allows us to run the whole thing from his business.
He even helped us with the very daunting task tonight when our numbers started to dwindle....

I think it's safe to say us QLDers want to have a crack at defending the Champion State title this year :p

Now - to organise getting them judged.

Dave (slightly freaked out Chief Steward)

Shit, was that 348 entries just in QABC or includes the extra AABC bottle?

Double the paperwork and bottles to fill, I gave up half way through and drank the bottles I had just filled. Didn't realise how much I hate bottling.
Must get better organised for next year.............maybe

Latest posts

Back