Queensland Amateur Brewing Championship 2013

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkey7

Reaction score
Attention all Queensland Brewers,

QLD = home of the AABC Champion State 2012,

This is a notification that the QABC site has been updated and that there is one main change this year to the way we prepare and enter our beers into the QABC and AABC competitions.

The main reason for the change is to improve the quality and freshness of our AABC entries, but the other benefits are streamlined competition administration, shipping and lower cost to brewers who qualify into the AABC.

For full details, terms and conditions, competition schedule, entry forms and bottle labels visit Queensland Amateur Brewing Championship.

I’ve included a photo on the entry form this year demonstrating an example of what an entry into the QABC looks like.

The judging will be done on Sunday 13 October 2013 and the beers must be submitted by 1pm 28 September 2013 at the latest.
The competition is registered with the BJCP and will be the qualifier for the Australian Amateur Brewing Championships which runs 2 weeks later.

The full AABC style schedule will be run, we'll have the usual Champion Brewer, Champion QAAWBG club and Champion Beer crowned, plus some pretty nice prizes (more details to follow).

The plan is to keep that National trophy in QLD !!

So, get brewing and preparing your beers for the September entry cutoff,

Cheers and good luck all,

Dave Clarke
QAAWBG Chief Steward Beer - Qld Amateur Brewing Championships 2013

Great idea Dave, can I suggest that you make rule 2, in the terms and conditions a little more obvious, It took a while for me to work out what the change was, perhaps list the change here and highlight the whole rule in the terms and conditions via a direct link.

Excellent idea to have the opportunity to enter your winners directly into the AABC, and big ups re the reduced cost to winners to send beers on to the nats.

However (talking here from cockroach land) there is the other side to the coin that by holding the State earlier as we do here in our magnificent and picturesque state of NSW in August it gives ample opportunity to improve (one hopes :lol: ) or at least address issues in the feedback sheets and re brew for the Nats.

At the end of the day I suppose it's six of one and half a dozen of the other - QLD has gone the path of "strike while the iron is hot" and may the best State win :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

Bribie G said:
Excellent idea to have the opportunity to enter your winners directly into the AABC, and big ups re the reduced cost to winners to send beers on to the nats.

However (talking here from cockroach land) there is the other side to the coin that by holding the State earlier as we do here in our magnificent and picturesque state of NSW in August it gives ample opportunity to improve (one hopes :lol: ) or at least address issues in the feedback sheets and re brew for the Nats.

At the end of the day I suppose it's six of one and half a dozen of the other - QLD has gone the path of "strike while the iron is hot" and may the best State win :beerbang:
Spoken like a true Gallen supporter. :)

(with absolute respect :p )

Looking forward to this since the new rules were brought up at the last PUBS meeting, got my first entry bottled, IIPA and stout bottled this week, that just leaves me with an APA and something undecided to brew and get ready in time, no idea what my fifth entry will be yet though.

Comps aren't just for the prizes or glory, they are a learning opportunity and re brewing then re brewing then re brewing can be very satisfying if you like that. For example my recent ESB comp Aus Lager was judged fruity and not dry enough so I'm chasing that for the State and if that falls short but scrapes through, I will chase it further for the nats.

On the other hand I've had gold in the State and gone on to get good marks in the Nats against fierce competition with the same resubmitted batch.

Like I said six of one half a dozen of the other :)

Edit: but I do like that "segue" argument for slipping straight into the Nats.

Sorry Everyone - The cutoff is the Saturday 28th September 1pm, not the 23rd as I posted.
The correct details are in the terms and conditions and on the website.

Cheers,

Dave

Leaving it late hey!

I got my pale Lager, Pilsner and Amber & Dark Lager all done. Going to be working on my Pale Ale this coming week. Leaving my Wheat and Farmhouse Ale till last thing.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Can exiles post in?
Of course you can LRG. Just send them to me and I'll put them in for you. They'll have your name on them......honest.......

Open to any current QLD residents :) as per rules...where are you LRG?

Been in Tassie 5 months, but there's no comp here & I still bleed maroon. Reckoned that's pretty good eligibility :)

Not sure Rowy wouldn't drink them first. Or enter them in his name to get the free voucher or yeast or whatever.

LRG,

Everyone is elgible to enter the AABC through their state qualifier only.
Rule C11 in the AABC says:

"If there is no Qualifying Championship in a particular State/Territory, then another State/Territory Qualifier may chose to
accept entries from that State/Territory. The beers from both States/Territories would be judged together but for the purposes of
qualification for the AABC, the placings for each State/Territory would be decided by only considering the scores for the
entries from that State/Territory (see the example in the explanatory notes)."

This assumes all entries from the "extra" state are all entered into the same qualifying comp.

Check with the AABC contacts http://www.aabc.org.au/to see which state accepts entries from TAS....My money is on VICBREW.

Cheers,

Dave

Reminder that QABC 2013 beers are due in 6 weeks.....Get your Brew shoes on folks if you haven't already.

Call for Judges & Stewards:

[SIZE=10pt]Queensland Amateur Brewing Championship 2013 ([/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]http://www.qabc.org.au/)[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] will be held on Sunday 13th October at Craftbrewer/Bacchus Brewing (Unit 1/ 2 Christine Place Capalaba). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The competition will be judged with the Beer Judge Certification Program or BJCP (www.bjcp.org) system, using the AABC guidelines and is the qualifier to the Australian Amateur Brewing Championship (http://www.aabc.org.au/).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Queensland took out Champion State last year and we are hoping to defend our title with your help.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]We are looking for Judges and Stewards from within the homebrewing and professional beer community to assist us in the judging of this competition. Hopefully you are willing and free to assist us with the smooth running judging of this competition on the date mentioned above. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]We are going to complete the judging in one hit, so plan for the 13th October to be a reasonably long day. Going on last year’s judging experience, we were done by 4pm with the Best of Show round starting around then. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]It would be great to have everyone judging by 8.30 am, so if you are interested in either judging or stewarding it would be appreciated if everyone could report for duty at 8am.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]All materials and lunch provided for helpers on the day and plenty of great beer.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]This year the competition is also putting on transport to local craft beer bars for Judges and Stewards at the completion of the judging to get you back to a central location or to kick on with your fellow helpers at some of the venues that have sponsored the competition. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Please let me know by 13th September (by email) if you are able to assist with the competition on Sunday 13th October.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]If you have a preference for judging a particular style, I'll try to accommodate everyone keeping in mind some of the competitors are also Judges and are restricted to other categories :)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The day is usually broken down into 2 shifts of a few hours each (a morning and an afternoon session). Please indicate if you are in for 1 or both (preferred) sessions.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Information on the competition is available here: [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]http://www.qabc.org.au/[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Cheers,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Dave Clarke[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Chief Steward - Beer[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Queensland Amateur Brewing Championship 2013[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Contact me at: [email protected][/SIZE]

Just to answer a question that came up in the AABC thread:

bradsbrew said:
I was refferring to that people are now to send 2 bottles to QABC and comp organisers will send off place getters to AABC free of charge, which I think is a great format. But it will leave alot of left over bottles, could be a couple of hundred. I know that in previous years you could send in 2 bottles so that the second bottle could be used for BOS but they were not really used as the judges do not drink the whole bottle.
I do not think it's a scandal or anything like that, just wondering who gets the job of emptying all those bottles. I think an emptying of left over bottles day for stewards and judges could be on the cards?
There are no finalised plans for the bottles that don't qualify. There has been talk of making provision for a representative to pick up their club's bottles after the qualifying entries have been sorted out (ie, after the day of judging), but we can't commit to that at this stage due to possible logistical issues. As it currently stands, as per the rules, the entries become property of the QABC and what will happen to them will be left to the discretion of the organising committee. I don't mind the idea of your suggestion though and will raise it as an option (pending a suitable venue).

By the way, in the past, if a BOS bottle was available, the fresh bottle was used in the BOS round.

Just a reminder that there are 5 weeks to go until entries are due - still plenty of time to brew!

At this point, I'd like to make a preliminary announcement about this year's sponsors, who among other things, will be helping to cover the costs of running the competition and entering and shipping the qualifying beers to this year's AABC in Canberra.

First of all thanks to Bacchus/Craftbrewer for hosting the competition and providing the cold storage. Cryer Malt and Brewers Choice have come to the party again this year and are supplying a sack of BB Pils malt and a shop voucher for 1st & 2nd place-getters respectively.

Category sponsors so far are:
4Hearts - Low Alcohol
Alehouse 24 - Pale Lager
Kerbside Bar - Pale Ale
Archive Beer Boutique - American Pale Ale
Bitter Suite - Bitter Ale
Brisbane Brewhouse - Brown Ale
Tippler's Tap - Strong Stout
Green Beacon - India Pale Ale
Fortitude/Noisy Minor - Belgian Strong Ale
Scratch Bar - Farmhouse Ale & Wild Beer
Australian Brews News - TBC
Sunshine Coast Brewery - TBC

If you are entering the competition and you get the opportunity, let these guys know you appreciate the support! And if you're not doing so already, checkout QAAWBG on Facebook and QABC on Twitter.

Cheers,
tallie

Guys,

Don't forget to include the filled out AABC labelled bottle with each of your QABC labelled bottles for this years Qld Amateur Brewing Championship.

The AABC entry form will be available soon @ http://www.aabc.org.au/

If you have to drop off your entries before the AABC labels and entry forms are available online (you have until 1pm 28th September), just use a second QABC entry form so we know which beer it is. You'll also need to include the OG, FG and yeast strain information just for the AABC bottle and we'll do the rest for you.

Cheers,

Dave

Back