Queensland Amateur Brewing Championship 2012

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkey7

Reaction score
QLD Brewers,

A reminder that this years Queensland Amateur Brewing Championship is approaching quickly. The judging will be done over the first 2 weekends in September and the beers must be submitted by 1pm 18 August 2012 at the latest.

For full details, terms and conditions, comp schedules, entry forms and bottle labels visit the Queensland Amateur Brewing Championship webpage.

The competition is registered with the BJCP and will be the qualifier for the Australian Amateur Brewing Championships.

The full AABC style schedule will be run, we'll have the usual Champion Brewer and Champion Beer crowned, plus some pretty nice prizes (more details to follow).

Also, as the comp has joined forces with QAAWBG, there will be a couple of additional awards this year.

Champion Kit, Champion Novice and Champion QAAWBG Club (QAAWBG - The Queensland Association of Amateur Wine & Beermakers Guilds Inc.)

So, get brewing and preparing your beers for August entry cutoff,

Cheers and good luck all,

Dave Clarke
QAAWBG Chief Steward Beer - Qld Amateur Brewing Championships 2012

Just to clear the air and not trolling - this is a genuine question - does this mean I can carpet bomb the comp with FWKs and toucans without declaring them to be kits, or are kits judged separately?

Edit: I read the form and yes there is a tick box for "kit" so I'd guess that FWKs are ok. I can understand why kits were allowed at a time when comparatively few brewers did AG, compared to nowadays. And FWKs were not common then either, but I reckon in 2012 this is a can o' worms. My 2c.

Edit: and yes I did indeed enter a toucan headbanger stout a few years ago :p , just raising the topic

Bribie,

Kits & therefore FWK's are allowed in the State comp - Go for your life.

Cheers Ross

Edit: They are all judged & awarded together, just with the best kit getting its own award.

Just a quick question:

Does the limitation of 1 per style/2 per category apply to Category 18.7 (Anything else)?

The reasons I ask is that I may enter this year (if I can get my stuff sorted out).

I'm going to do a Gluten Free beer (thus being an 18.7 beer - special ingredients) for a mate, and bottling (because he can't take a keg home). I will likely keep 3 or 4 bottles for my own assessment, as I refine the brewing process.

I don't necessarily plan to enter this beer, but should I get this refinement adequately right - I would likely enter, in order to get the feedback required to further refine (my mate is sick of drinking cider, so I am sort of taking this challenge on).

I do (if I decide to enter/organise myself enough) plan on entering a Cat 18.7 beer - basic style, but with enough different ingredients/changes to base style - to ensure it won't be able to be classified otherwise.

Based on my understanding of the rules - I am stuffed. I don't plan on carpet bombing, but it just so happens that one beer I want to enter, and another I just want feedback on, because they are "uncategorised" will appear in the same category.

Is there a special dispensation for this? After all, I'm not brewing 4 APAs and chucking them in.

Goomba

Just a quick question:

Does the limitation of 1 per style/2 per category apply to Category 18.7 (Anything else)?

The reasons I ask is that I may enter this year (if I can get my stuff sorted out).

I'm going to do a Gluten Free beer (thus being an 18.7 beer - special ingredients) for a mate, and bottling (because he can't take a keg home). I will likely keep 3 or 4 bottles for my own assessment, as I refine the brewing process.

I don't necessarily plan to enter this beer, but should I get this refinement adequately right - I would likely enter, in order to get the feedback required to further refine (my mate is sick of drinking cider, so I am sort of taking this challenge on).

I do (if I decide to enter/organise myself enough) plan on entering a Cat 18.7 beer - basic style, but with enough different ingredients/changes to base style - to ensure it won't be able to be classified otherwise.

Based on my understanding of the rules - I am stuffed. I don't plan on carpet bombing, but it just so happens that one beer I want to enter, and another I just want feedback on, because they are "uncategorised" will appear in the same category.

Is there a special dispensation for this? After all, I'm not brewing 4 APAs and chucking them in.

Goomba

Does the the GF beer fit in any of the standard (non-category 18) styles? If your aim is to brew a GF beer that tastes like a regular beer, then the best feedback you could probably get is from entering it along-side the other beers in that particular style.

Cheers,
tallie

Hard one, I'll probably enter an American Malt Liquor again - it doesn't have a class and probably never will do but it really doesn't have any special ingredients either. rice? maize? dex?

As Tallie said if it has a real-life class you can enter yours in, probably best to go with that one and let it stand on its own two feet.

Hard one, I'll probably enter an American Malt Liquor again - it doesn't have a class and probably never will do but it really doesn't have any special ingredients either. rice? maize? dex?

As Tallie said if it has a real-life class you can enter yours in, probably best to go with that one and let it stand on its own two feet.

Only issue is - that I'll likely enter a beer in that class. Otherwise, I might do so - though the style guidelines might disqualify it?

It just strikes me as odd, that there is this one "chuck your beer here, if it fits nowhere else" Style, and yet you could do one GF Amber Ale, one Malt Liquor, one belgian hoppy witbier with candi sugar and american hops, and a british bitter with galaxy - all are completely different beers, yet because they fit nowhere else (go with me on this), they get entered into one style.

Sure, I could see how you might discourage someone from entering 3 weissbiers and 4 Mild Ales, and bombing a comp - but this strikes me as a peculiarly idiosyncratic by-product of having to legislate in the concept of fair play.

I would think that an alteration to the AABC guidelines would be 1 beer per style, 2 per category, with the exception of style 18.7 - where you are allowed up to 3 styles, so long as your 3 styles are not of the same "nature" (ie. base style, experimental nature, historical style and you are prepared to put enough information on your entry card to demonstrate a differentiation between your 3 beers.

Having lifted the following from the style guideline for 2012, it appears as though it could be policed.

"THE BREWER MUST SPECIFY THE EXPERIMENTAL NATURE OF THE BEER (E.G., TYPE OF SPECIAL
INGREDIENTS USED, PROCESS UTILIZED OR HISTORICAL STYLE BEING BREWED), OR WHY
THE BEER DOESNT FIT AN ESTABLISHED STYLE. THE BREWER MAY SPECIFY AN
UNDERLYING BEER STYLE."

I know I'm probably engaging it a bit of wholesale discussion for it's own sake and for those who don't like it, I do sincerely apologise. I also apologise if it appears as though I'm taking a shot at the rules, when I sincerely am not. The AABC do a great job of trying to quantify a qualitative issue - especially given malt, hops, water and yeast can produce so many different results. And they do a great job of trying to make things fair for all, and their time and energy is much appreciated, I'm sure, by the amateur brewing community.

I may not even enter the beers in question, but it struck me, as I started to plan out the next 2 months' brewing and whether/what I could enter into the comp, that these things only really come up, once someone actually confronts/creates the situation themselves (a bit like the whole 'kit' beer argument).

B)

Goomba

LRG,

The rules are clear and must be followed as our competition is the qualifier to the national competition.

Your question regarding the "specialty other" category is reasonable and we are happy to hear any feedback on aspects of our state and national comps.

This request has been noted by our state association and 1 of our state delegates on the national committee.

If you wish, we can submit this for consideration for next years competition as a suggestion/possible rule alteration. It will be voted on and if successful, implemented.

But, for this year you are restricted by the published rules.

Cheers,

Dave Clarke
QAAWBG Chief Steward Beer - Qld Amateur Brewing Championships 2012

Thanks Dave - just wanted some clarification on that topic, and it kind of got me thinking a little - that and I was bored at work :)

Like the guys at brewsnews say - "beer is a conversation".

Sorry to flog a dead horse - but will entering a Sorghum Based Beer in a "regular" category be allowed?

Goomba

Thanks Dave - just wanted some clarification on that topic, and it kind of got me thinking a little - that and I was bored at work :)

Like the guys at brewsnews say - "beer is a conversation".

Sorry to flog a dead horse - but will entering a Sorghum Based Beer in a "regular" category be allowed?

Goomba
Absolutely, as Tallie suggested try and find the category most suited to your beer if you didn't brew it to style in the first place.

Just a reminder to get brewing for the State Champs....closes 18th August.

We want to give it a red hot go this year at the Nationals....

I'll be asking for Judges and Stewards shortly via email and on this thread......

But for now, put Sunday 2nd and Sunday 9th September down in your calender.

Cheers,

Dave

Get your brew shoes on folks...there is still time to make the 18th August Entry deadline for the Qld Championships 2012.

I have sent around a bunch of emails to brewing folk in Brisbane (Industry reps and homebrewing clubs / organisations) asking for help...

If you did not receive a call for judges + stewards email recently from your brewing club, from me or from work and would like help out in Brisbane for this comp on either of the weekends in September..

Contact me here:

[email protected]

Comp info here: QABC

Cheers,

Dave

12 days until the comp entries close :eek:

Get plotting and organising, bottling/labeling (and brewing if you've left it to the last minute for a mild or wheat :rolleyes: )

Don't forget to drop me a line if you can assist with stewarding or judging on the day,

Cheers,

Dave

12 days until the comp entries close :eek:

Get plotting and organising, bottling/labeling (and brewing if you've left it to the last minute for a mild or wheat :rolleyes: )

Don't forget to drop me a line if you can assist with stewarding or judging on the day,

Cheers,

Dave
Hey Dave, I'm up for a bit of stewarding or judging. Happy to do either. Will send an email with what I am entering.

Cheers

Let me know if I can help in anyway.

Bump - exactly 1 week to go until entries close....

Dave

QABC running next Sunday 2nd September. QABC Webpage

267 entries - one huge day of Judging. coming up...

Unfortunately, we still struggle to follow instructions......

Last Tuesday we spent at least an extra hour of the bottle registration mucking around with basic stuff ups... I got home at 1am.

We could have disqualified plenty of beers under the rules....but in the end have been inclusive with all the entries...
The reason we have the rules is to ensure that entries are not able to be identified.
As the judges will be opening the beers it is quite important in our comp.

You guys need to know this stuff, as the AABC may not be as lenient with the rules.

Some things that went wrong:

Commercial beer labels were left on entries
Green beer bottles were entered
Non-standard bottles and caps were used
Colour caps were used
Most caps still had identifiable marks on them
Labels identifying yeast strains used were stuck across caps on top of bottles
Incorrect category and style guideline written on the bottles and forms
Insufficient entry fee supplied
Blank Entry Forms supplied
Beers entered with Dark Ale or Lager only written on them...No description or Sub Category indicated
Labels fixed to the bottles on a 45 degree angle with a string looped around the lid
Entrants attempted to put 2 beers in a single sub-category or more than 2 in a category
In some cases, it was impossible to tell beers apart or what brewers wanted without us phoning and asking
Brewers forgot which club they belong to.

And many more I have forgotten.....

Anyway, looking forward to some great beers and laughs next weekend, where we'll hopefully pick the beers that will win us "Champion State" at the nationals in Melbourne on 25 October.

Well - that's the goal people.

Cheers,

Dave

PS - last minute helpers for Judging or Stewarding PM me.

Back