Quality of base malts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beamer

Reaction score
Hey all,

Brewed my first few BIAB all grain of late and was a bit off the numbers, done a bit of reading, quite a few things ill be trying over my next few batches aswell.

I have been using JW grains in my brews (i got these in my first all grain packs) I will be placing an order this evening and was thinking of changing base malt to Muntons Pale Ale.

Hoping to hear some feed back and advice,

Cheers,
Beamer

Never used the Muntons but the JW Trad Ale and their Pilsner malt work well for pale ales. If your thinking English, Simpsons Maris Otter, is a good starting point .

Nothing wrong with JW base malts. Award winning beers at AABC have been brewed using them. That being said if you are going for a British style bitter, nothing beats a bit of marris otter or golden promise.

Thanks all, had nothing wrong with JW just wanted to try a different base for experience

The freshness of the malt is probably more important than the type, but if it's uncracked or cracked to order, you're good to go. The English pale malts are supposedly maltier than US or AU equivalents, and that matches my limited experience.

try 'em all. they all good, slightly different in colour and flavour, but all good. i using weyermanns pale ale for euro stuff and faucett's perle for english/aussie stuff at present. dictated usually by what constitutes a good deal at the hbs. but they all good.

JW Ale is tops for homebrewing. JW Pils can have a candy sweetness which may not be to everyone's taste. Malteurop Pale or Barret Burston Pale are good local lager malts if you can get them. Gladfield from NZ have a tasty range of specialty malts, and their base malts seem to give up their extract much more willingly (many reports of 90%+ extract efficiency). If you want extra maltiness German Munich malt is pretty hard to beat.

Tasting a range of base malts and beers brewed with them is an invaluable experience. There will be a really exciting opportunity during Good Beer Week to sample and compare homebrewed SMASH beers - stay tuned (til program launch next weekend!)

Latest posts

Back