Qabc 2011 - Call For Judges / Stewards

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Scientist

Reaction score
The Queensland Amateur Brewing Championship (QABC) is held as a qualifier to the Australian Amateur Brewing Championship (AABC), which is to be held in Adelaide on Friday 21st and Saturday 22nd October 2011. Entrants from the QABC and other states qualifiers who receive a 1st, 2nd or 3rd placing in any of the categories and who have achieved a minimum score of 60% will be invited to enter the National Championship (AABC).

Entries for the QABC are to be delivered to CraftBrewer & Brewers Choice stores no later than 1pm Saturday, 27th of August, so you better get moving if you haven't started brewing yet.

Only Queensland residents are eligible to enter the QABC but Judges and Stewards can be from outside of the State. The judging for QABC will be on the weekend of the 10-11th of September.

This is a call for both Judges and Stewards who will be available in Brisbane on the weekend of the comp. If you have an interest in either Judging or helping out on the day send me a PM and I'll add you to the list of potential QABC staff. If you intend on entering beers into the QABC, please let me know which styles. This is because you can only be panelled to judge categories in which you have not entered. Also please let me know what experience you have with comps so if panelled to judge I can pair you up with someone suitable.

I am looking for both experienced and novice judges / stewards who know the importance of constructive feedback and understand what the intent of providing good judging / stewarding is all about. If you're wondering what that is, well as taken from the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) "To promote the appreciation of real beer and to recognise beer tasting and evaluation skills". But mostly to give competitors a non-bias review of their beers to assist in their development and/or improvement of their brewing.

Depending on the number of entries for QABC this year, we will usually complete the judging in one full day with a 8am start and working through till up to 5pm. If there are enough entries there may be further judging on the following day. Please consider these time frames if putting your name forward to assist in the comp.

Getting closer to the comp date there will be a list of Judges released and a clarification of who has been nominated for what roles. This comp is run in accordance with the rules of the Australian Amateur Brewing Association (AABC) and all entries are judged against the published AABC style guidelines for 2010-11.

For more info on the QABC go to http://www.qabc.org.au/
For more info on the AABC go to http://www.aabc.org.au/

Cheers,

Liam

Guys,

HELP!!! We are in desperate need of judges & stewards.

Due to unfortunate circumstances we have had a lot of Judges & stewards pull out at the last minute of this weekends comp. If we can't get more help it will have to run over 2 weekends, which is far from satisfactory.
We would like to do the whole comp this Sunday, with any shortfall handled Saturday afternoon/evening from 1pm if required. Please urgently contact me on 0412 666952 if you are willing to help.

Cheers Ross

Guys,

HELP!!! We are in desperate need of judges & stewards.

Due to unfortunate circumstances we have had a lot of Judges & stewards pull out at the last minute of this weekends comp. If we can't get more help it will have to run over 2 weekends, which is far from satisfactory.
We would like to do the whole comp this Sunday, with any shortfall handled Saturday afternoon/evening from 1pm if required. Please urgently contact me on 0412 666952 if you are willing to help.

Cheers Ross
Ross,
I'm trying to re-arrange my cover so I have Saturday available as well, as my wife will be working all weekend with the Brisbane Festival in full swing.
I won't know until tonight either way though.

Northsiders coming on Sunday should also check the road closures due to the Bridge to Brisbane.

Would love to, but no chance i'm afraid ... but let's keep this on the recent posts for others :)

Bump....

Just getting ready for a great weekend of stewarding and judging well made beers.

I'm pretty sure we have enough people now, but please put your hand up if your keen to help or get involved.

It's always handy to have a few extras to cover illness or to knock over an extra category in a session or just make things run a bit smoother/faster.

Contact Ross @ Craftbrewer if you can assist from 1pm today and/or 8am tomorrow.

See you there :D

PB

Northside brewers, there will be a detour round Lomandra drive Southbound but the Bridge will still be open. However to Get to Bacchus on a Sunday it's just as easy to spear over the Story Bridge and go left along Old Cleveland Road. Looks like there'll be 3 P.U.B.S. members helping out to spread the love.

:icon_cheers:

How did everything go? Did it all run smoothly?

I'm sorry I couldn't help out this weekend... also that I didn't have more entries to keep you all busy :-D

Unfortunately due to sickness, unopertuness and slackness, we did end up with enough judges and QABC MK2 is taking place tomorrow to get the remaining classes done. The results should not be too far behind.

cheers

Browndog

Unfortunately due to sickness, unopertuness and slackness, we did end up with enough judges and QABC MK2 is taking place tomorrow to get the remaining classes done. The results should not be too far behind.

cheers

Browndog

I'll be there BD :icon_cheers:
Disclaimer: Unless hijacked by places like Love&rockets after the football.

PS: if anyone is going past here, I'd appreciate a lift - will pay in beer.

How's it going BD? Sounded most excruciating from what I heard. Nothing worse than teeth.

How's it going BD? Sounded most excruciating from what I heard. Nothing worse than teeth.

I'm all good now mate. I was lyinging on the lounge last sunday watching footie and then all of a sudden i was spitting out blood and shit and then the swelling started to go down. I still have strange parts of numbness and paralysation on my face, but it is abating. Odd thing is, my teeth are feeling fine now.

cheers

Browndog

PS, The doc gave me the best drugs ever..

Any left? :rolleyes:

Sorry I can't make it tomorrow - working as usual but last week was good as I managed to get the day off. From what I remember of it :blink:

Ask me next year, I'll make sure Winkle makes it :beerbang:

Well maybe :blink:

Ask me next year, I'll make sure Winkle makes it :beerbang:

Well maybe :blink:

Hey I'll get there - running slightly late, who would have thought there was such a thing as 8am on a Sunday???

Well thats over for another year, thanks to Ross for putting up with us and Browndog for the comedy routine. :icon_chickcheers:
How was the trip home Liam?
I guess the results will be tabulated and disseminated soonish, I think I'll go and pour myself something with bugger-all hops in it.

Well thats over for another year, thanks to Ross for putting up with us and Browndog for the comedy routine. :icon_chickcheers:
How was the trip home Liam?
I guess the results will be tabulated and disseminated soonish, I think I'll go and pour myself something with bugger-all hops in it.

All good on the way home, more merry-ment was had as we re-lived the events of the day. This was the most fun I've had while judging, good group of guys drinking great beers and giving all a thorough review ;)

Hope you made it home safely too Winkle. Browndog will be over the moon when he see's your choice of first place in the IPA class. That was a big class to get through, thanks for doing the hard yards mate. Have you checked if Luke made it home safely?

Cheers,

TS

Back