Q for Crown urn concealed element owners

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
Hi all,

Is the element just the raised bit in the centre or is it larger than that?

Cheers

I think it is mate, why do you need to know?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BPH87" data-cid="991234" data-time="1358485592"><p>
I think it is mate, why do you need to know?</p></blockquote>

I just want to cover it with something to protect grain bag from possibly scorching

Cheers

tonyt said:
Hi all,

Is the element just the raised bit in the centre or is it larger than that?

Cheers
(from memory) The width of the element you see ontop is just narrower than the widest point of it, but allow it does drop down underneath. There is some pics from ontop and underneath on my website under homebrew/my gear/mash tun build.

edit: if you are just concerned about the bag, just cover what you see from the top and all is good

tonyt said:
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BPH87" data-cid="991234" data-time="1358485592"><p>
I think it is mate, why do you need to know?</p></blockquote>

I just want to cover it with something to protect grain bag from possibly scorching

Cheers
tonyt, no need to cover, just dont heat with the bag down, its best to lift the bag if you need to heat.

cheers Ross

If I am doing a mash out I will raise the bag enough so it is not touching the bottom of the urn at all but the grain is still submerged. Provided that the grain is in the wort then I don't see a problem.

I would just put a cheap cake rack in the bottom of the urn, and tie a piece of string to it (so you can pull it out before the boil!)

will raise the bag a cm off the bottom. been doing this with a pot and a stupidly powerful gas burner for a few years, never had an issue

98476racks.jpg

raising the bag to do temperature steps etc is a pita

Not when you have one of these :p
[img=[URL="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7048/6988745845_501362b2cc_n.jpg%5D"]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7048/6988745845_501362b2cc_n.jpg][/URL]

There are other things that make it a pita other than the labour involved

Some point, how do you measure the temperature if you have a bag tied and pulled up. I find this blocks me from getting to the wort with a thermometer

Another one, if you raise the bag enough you might find your wort cools when you drop it again, again making steps harder than they have to be

Stux said:
There are other things that make it a pita other than the labour involved Some point, how do you measure the temperature if you have a bag tied and pulled up. I find this blocks me from getting to the wort with a thermometer Another one, if you raise the bag enough you might find your wort cools when you drop it again, again making steps harder than they have to be

+1, I tried the lifting of the bag for steps/mo etc. Too much f'ing around. Throw a pseudo false bottom to keep the bag away from the element and a small pump to recirculate the mash.

Stux said:
There are other things that make it a pita other than the labour involved Some point,
I agree

Stux said:
how do you measure the temperature if you have a bag tied and pulled up. I find this blocks me from getting to the wort with a thermometer
The bag I have is from CB and has loops around the opening. The bag isn't really tied up, I leave a few of the loops off the hook so I can get in it if need be. No probs measuring temp of wort or grain.

Stux said:
Another one, if you raise the bag enough you might find your wort cools when you drop it again, again making steps harder than they have to be
As mentioned the grain is still in the wort and the bag is just off the bottom. There is minimal bag out of the wort to make a big difference.

Granted that a bottom will of course be easier as there is really nothing need be done. Just saying it is not such a big PITA to do it if you don't want, or haven't got, a bottom.

Back