Q: Controller kit for a heating element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codehopper

Reaction score
I've installed a 2400 Wt heating element, which I'm going to use during both mash (with PID thermostat which I'm yet to build) and boil. Theoretically, it should be alright for 10A wiring I got in the house. In practice I'd prefer to have some insurance against overheating the wires, as the house it kinda old. Plus, I don't think I need the full power when the wort is already boiling.

So I'm considering addition of some controller like this: http://www.stilldragon.com.au/diy-controller-kit/ between thermostat/kettle and power supply. Now, here's the question -- if I add it and tune to, say, 50%, will that be like I had a 1200 Wt heating element, from the "external" (wiring) point of view?

The end state would be having a kettle (with BIAB or malt pipe setup), connected to PID thermostat, connected to the power controller (if I'm right in my assumption about it). For the boil, the PID thermostat would be removed.

Back