Puttying/Patching an esky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good (possibly epoxy) thing to patch an Evakool/Techni-ice style esky with?

I'm building a dual purpose coil chiller - mostly it will prechill the water before it goes into my plate chiller, but will also serve as a jockey box on camping trips.

Anyways the stainless coil i've got has threads welded on the ends and one of them is not quite long enough to act as a bulkhead type arrangement, so i'll have to push it through the wall of esky and patch on the inside.

I'm thinking Selley's Knead-it - but that is very exxy and I may need a sizeable amount.

Any other suggestions for a waterproof epoxy type putty?

as alot of these plastics are non adhesive, and will sometimes only bond to like materials it might be a case of trial and error, you maybe lucky and someone else here has done the same thing.

it will not stick to the plastice you will only get a macanicale bond so ruff up the surface and use a two pack epoxy with some filler such as micro bolloens

Spoonta said:
it will not stick to the plastice you will only get a macanicale bond so ruff up the surface and use a two pack epoxy with some filler such as micro bolloens
Yep - I agree with this - I patched my esky mashtun at the outlet a few months ago.
The inner lining where the bulkhead exits had started to delaminate and split due to 3 years of (ab)use at mash temps and the mechanical stress of the tightened bulkhead.
I kept the hole openening clear with a bit of dowel wrapped in glad wrap and then bogged it up with Araldite. I roughed the surface up a bit with some 80 grit sandpaper. It hasn't budged in the 6 brews since and provides a better seal than before.

Spoonta said:

does this translate to araldite?

do you mean micro balloons? Mr Google doesnt compute with micro bolleons?

ya on the micro balloons and na on the araldite 2 pack fiberglass resign

hmmm.. thinking now maybe i connect threads i've got to a longer piece of thread to create a true bulkhead arrangement.. sounds like sticking to these eskies/plastics is harder than i thought it would be. also if i use a real bulkhead type hole, i can plug it no probs in future if required.

back to the drawing board!

printed forms section said:
hmmm.. thinking now maybe i connect threads i've got to a longer piece of thread to create a true bulkhead arrangement.. sounds like sticking to these eskies/plastics is harder than i thought it would be. also if i use a real bulkhead type hole, i can plug it no probs in future if required. back to the drawing board!
If you can do it that way it would probably save a lot of hassle

Regarding epoxy in mash tuns

Be aware that many epoxies are not rated for food contact

Just use a socket and screw a longer length of thread into the other end.

punkin said:
Just use a socket and screw a longer length of thread into the other end.
that's my favourite idea, but the threads i've got are 5/8 BSP, finding general fittings in brass or stainless in 5/8 is pretty hard, all i can find are bright steel (aka rusty)

Go to a general engineering shop that sells bearings and bolts and stuff. They'll have it or be able to get it in brass or staino.