Puttying/Patching an esky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

woodwormm

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good (possibly epoxy) thing to patch an Evakool/Techni-ice style esky with?

I'm building a dual purpose coil chiller - mostly it will prechill the water before it goes into my plate chiller, but will also serve as a jockey box on camping trips.

Anyways the stainless coil i've got has threads welded on the ends and one of them is not quite long enough to act as a bulkhead type arrangement, so i'll have to push it through the wall of esky and patch on the inside.

I'm thinking Selley's Knead-it - but that is very exxy and I may need a sizeable amount.

Any other suggestions for a waterproof epoxy type putty?

MastersBrewery

Journeyman, the learning never stops
Reaction score
as alot of these plastics are non adhesive, and will sometimes only bond to like materials it might be a case of trial and error, you maybe lucky and someone else here has done the same thing.

Neanderthal

Reaction score
LEt us know how you go Printed as I have a Techni Ice esky I need to patch I was going to use Mashing.

Spoonta

Reaction score
it will not stick to the plastice you will only get a macanicale bond so ruff up the surface and use a two pack epoxy with some filler such as micro bolloens

Tilt

Reaction score
Spoonta said:
it will not stick to the plastice you will only get a macanicale bond so ruff up the surface and use a two pack epoxy with some filler such as micro bolloens
Yep - I agree with this - I patched my esky mashtun at the outlet a few months ago.
The inner lining where the bulkhead exits had started to delaminate and split due to 3 years of (ab)use at mash temps and the mechanical stress of the tightened bulkhead.
I kept the hole openening clear with a bit of dowel wrapped in glad wrap and then bogged it up with Araldite. I roughed the surface up a bit with some 80 grit sandpaper. It hasn't budged in the 6 brews since and provides a better seal than before.

woodwormm

Reaction score

Spoonta said:

does this translate to araldite?

do you mean micro balloons? Mr Google doesnt compute with micro bolleons?

Spoonta

Reaction score
ya on the micro balloons and na on the araldite 2 pack fiberglass resign

woodwormm

Reaction score
hmmm.. thinking now maybe i connect threads i've got to a longer piece of thread to create a true bulkhead arrangement.. sounds like sticking to these eskies/plastics is harder than i thought it would be. also if i use a real bulkhead type hole, i can plug it no probs in future if required.

back to the drawing board!

MastersBrewery

Journeyman, the learning never stops
Reaction score
printed forms section said:
hmmm.. thinking now maybe i connect threads i've got to a longer piece of thread to create a true bulkhead arrangement.. sounds like sticking to these eskies/plastics is harder than i thought it would be. also if i use a real bulkhead type hole, i can plug it no probs in future if required. back to the drawing board!
If you can do it that way it would probably save a lot of hassle

stux

Hacienda Brewhaus
Reaction score
Regarding epoxy in mash tuns

Be aware that many epoxies are not rated for food contact

punkin

Rarely Serious
Reaction score
Just use a socket and screw a longer length of thread into the other end.

woodwormm

Reaction score
punkin said:
Just use a socket and screw a longer length of thread into the other end.
that's my favourite idea, but the threads i've got are 5/8 BSP, finding general fittings in brass or stainless in 5/8 is pretty hard, all i can find are bright steel (aka rusty)

punkin

Rarely Serious
Reaction score
Go to a general engineering shop that sells bearings and bolts and stuff. They'll have it or be able to get it in brass or staino.

Latest posts