Putting a cheap kit down. Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zindello

Reaction score
Hi All,

After an infection that I had in one of my fermenters, I've thoroughly cleaned, soaked and sanitized the fermenter in question, and I've bought a (very) cheap kit to throw into it, to see if I actually got rid of the infection. If it works, I get a cheap (and nasty) beer, if it doesn't then I'll turf the fermenter and I'm not that much out of pocket.

The kit in question is a "Bacchus and Barley Draught Bitter" kit that G&G had on special for $10, I've also got a mixed dex/LDME bag to go with it.

Now I currently have 10g of Chinook and 10g of Cascade left over from my last brew, I was thinking maybe just dry hop it with those (assuming the brew works) or I'm happy to go out and buy some more hops.

There are very few beers that I don't like, but lately I've just put down a LCPA clone so that "style" should give you an idea of what I like. That being said, Coopers Pale Ale is always my fallback beer.

So, if it works, will the Chinook and the Cascade help turn this into a not so bland beer, or should I be looking at adding something else?

Cheers,

Did the kit come with a lager yeast, that you need to ferment cold? If so, do you have a brewfridge you'll be fermenting in?

Just going to use the supplied kit yeast and whack it in my SOFC at around 18-20 degrees.

Remember, this is a cheap & nasty test, if after a few days there's no sign of infection then I'm planning on dry-hopping it, if there's a sign of infection after a few days then I'll just ditch it and the fermenter in question.

Yeah, no worries, just noticed on the G&G website that it mentioned a Saflager yeast and cold fermentation. Good thinking with the kit yeast for a cheapie brew.

As for chinook as a dry hop, have you used it as an aroma hop before? I haven't, but have read a lot about it being pretty full on, and you'd have to be a fair hop head to enjoy it. The terms 'kitty litter' and 'cat piss' keep appearing in the posts I read about it (with Simcoe getting similar comments). Seems to be a real love/hate thing going on with it as a late addition, so you might want to google "Chinook as aroma hop" or some such. Obviously the Cascade would be all good for a dry hop.

The LCPA clone I have down at the moment calls for 10g cascade and 20g chinook on day 3 and I'm liking that so far, so I don't think I'm in the "Kitty Litter/Cat Piss" camp.

Although, being rather new to this I'm willing to try different hops with different flavours, just wanting to be steered in the right direction.

Also, it was a Bacchus & Barley Bitter I think, not a draught.

Is that the Boonies LCPA recipe? Certainly has its fans for that K&K brew, so obviously plenty of people who like what Chinook does late. It's only 10 grams so I don't see any harm in putting it in with the Cascade to fancy this one up a bit.

If it turns out you like how the cascade/chinook dry hop combination works out (which is a fairly classic combination, btw - I reckon you'll be alright) then I think your dry hop plan is a good one. Will spruce up a plain kit for sure.

Here's hoping you've got that infection knocked on the head.

carniebrew said:
Is that the Boonies LCPA recipe? Certainly has its fans for that K&K brew, so obviously plenty of people who like what Chinook does late. It's only 10 grams so I don't see any harm in putting it in with the Cascade to fancy this one up a bit.
Yep, Boonies K&K Recipe

bum said:
If it turns out you like how the cascade/chinook dry hop combination works out (which is a fairly classic combination, btw - I reckon you'll be alright) then I think your dry hop plan is a good one. Will spruce up a plain kit for sure.

Here's hoping you've got that infection knocked on the head.
Here's hoping two. It's been double soaked in bleach, everything has been disassembled and cleaned thoroughly, then allowed to soak again. If that doesn't kill it, I'm just going to ditch the fermenter ...

Back