Putin Powered RIS (Brew day from hell)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadmium

Reaction score
This is in honour of @Cloud Surfer who inspired me to get around to brewing a Russian Imperial. I eventually landed on my AG recipe:

OG 1.092
FG 1.021
ABV 9.6%
IBU 79
BU:GU 0.88

Using:
10kg Maris Otter (Crisp)
190g Crisp 240L crystal
190g Weyerman Carafa Special II
190g Simpson's Chocolate
190g Joe White Roast Barley
464g (1 pack) D180 Candi Syrup

I factored for a reduced efficiency of 55% as a rough estimate.

Hops:
75g Challeneger (8%) FWH
75g EKG 4% 30m

Yeast: 2 packets Nottingham

Mash:
69c 90m
76c 10m

So, I got strike water to temp, milled my grains and adjusted water for a "Black Ballanced" with a target pH of 5.5 as I don't top mash the roast grains and prefer a slightly higher mash pH for roast grains to keep the astringency lower.

Considering I was doing this in a Guten 40L, I realised it was gonna be tight. Very tight. So I mashed in, however I couldn't fit all the grain in. Literally had it to the holes on the side where the handle goes. Was maybe less than 1kg of grain, so figured I would boost it with a little DME.

All going well, but it was VERY slow to circulate. Like pretty much non existent. Decided to check mash temp using probe thermometer.... 60.2c ahhhh fark.

Luckily doughing in warm should have gekatinised some of starch. Oh well, what can I do. I know! I'll do a decoction to raise the temp. So off I scooped about 5l of thick mash, and into a pot. Bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes.

Hey look, my grain bed compacted, the wort isn't recirculating and is flowing over the sides of the malt pipe with all the grains. Awesome.

About 15m left in the mash. Stuff it, lift the malt pipe and scrape the bottom. Get some flow. Stir in the hot decoction. Back down goes the pipe.

Backing up again. I won't be able to raise the temp of the mash for a mash out. Stuff it, no mash out this time then. Lift the malt pipe. No good. Stuck. Stir like a mad man, sparge in 2L batches and let sit for a few minutes then stir and scrape the bottom to alleviate stuck mash.

Figured efficiency would be out the windows, so I could at least make a very expensive normal stout. Probably end up quite dry seeing I mashed a fair while at 60c.

Sparge to pre boil volume. Huh. Hit my estimated pre boil gravity.

Forgot to check mash pH. Ahhh biscuits. Oh well, on with the boil then. Cranked it up, measured the hops out. In they go. Not quite FWH but what ever. Close enough.

Bring to a boil. Start the timer. 20m to go, chiller in. Whirlfloc in. Nutrient in. Am I missing something? Nah all good.

Hook up the pump turn it on. All is good. 10m to go. Oh man, the EKG at 30m. Biscuits. Measure em out, got them in at 6m. Great.

Pump blocked. Never happened before (I use an external magnetic pump for whirlpooling)

Give the silicone hose a squeeze to try unblock. Manage to pull the hose off. Forgot to put on a clamp. 100c wort splashing all around. Shut off valve. Lost about 2L on the floor. Pump bubbling up hot wort. Didnt take whirlpool arm out, it's started to siphon. More hot wort on the floor, walls, guten, me. Great.

Start cleaning the mess up. Boil finished. Turn off the heat, disconnect the pump. Had a small 30 second cry. Get back to it.

Turn chiller on. Forgot to add D180. Quickly add it. Chill wort. Clean up giant mess in garage.

Transfer to fermenter. Add yeast. Thank goodness that's over. Check gravity. 2 points up and still managed 21L in the fermenter.

Faaaaaark. Next time, I am doing a reiterated mash. No questions asked. No chance I'm trying this again in one go.
20210107_120641.jpg

20210107_143613.jpg

This is in honour of @Cloud Surfer who inspired me to get around to brewing a Russian Imperial. I eventually landed on my AG recipe:

OG 1.092
FG 1.021
ABV 9.6%
IBU 79
BU:GU 0.88

Using:
10kg Maris Otter (Crisp)
190g Crisp 240L crystal
190g Weyerman Carafa Special II
190g Simpson's Chocolate
190g Joe White Roast Barley
464g (1 pack) D180 Candi Syrup

I factored for a reduced efficiency of 55% as a rough estimate.

Hops:
75g Challeneger (8%) FWH
75g EKG 4% 30m

Yeast: 2 packets Nottingham

Mash:
69c 90m
76c 10m

So, I got strike water to temp, milled my grains and adjusted water for a "Black Ballanced" with a target pH of 5.5 as I don't top mash the roast grains and prefer a slightly higher mash pH for roast grains to keep the astringency lower.

Considering I was doing this in a Guten 40L, I realised it was gonna be tight. Very tight. So I mashed in, however I couldn't fit all the grain in. Literally had it to the holes on the side where the handle goes. Was maybe less than 1kg of grain, so figured I would boost it with a little DME.

All going well, but it was VERY slow to circulate. Like pretty much non existent. Decided to check mash temp using probe thermometer.... 60.2c ahhhh fark.

Luckily doughing in warm should have gekatinised some of starch. Oh well, what can I do. I know! I'll do a decoction to raise the temp. So off I scooped about 5l of thick mash, and into a pot. Bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes.

Hey look, my grain bed compacted, the wort isn't recirculating and is flowing over the sides of the malt pipe with all the grains. Awesome.

About 15m left in the mash. Stuff it, lift the malt pipe and scrape the bottom. Get some flow. Stir in the hot decoction. Back down goes the pipe.

Backing up again. I won't be able to raise the temp of the mash for a mash out. Stuff it, no mash out this time then. Lift the malt pipe. No good. Stuck. Stir like a mad man, sparge in 2L batches and let sit for a few minutes then stir and scrape the bottom to alleviate stuck mash.

Figured efficiency would be out the windows, so I could at least make a very expensive normal stout. Probably end up quite dry seeing I mashed a fair while at 60c.

Sparge to pre boil volume. Huh. Hit my estimated pre boil gravity.

Forgot to check mash pH. Ahhh biscuits. Oh well, on with the boil then. Cranked it up, measured the hops out. In they go. Not quite FWH but what ever. Close enough.

Bring to a boil. Start the timer. 20m to go, chiller in. Whirlfloc in. Nutrient in. Am I missing something? Nah all good.

Hook up the pump turn it on. All is good. 10m to go. Oh man, the EKG at 30m. Biscuits. Measure em out, got them in at 6m. Great.

Pump blocked. Never happened before (I use an external magnetic pump for whirlpooling)

Give the silicone hose a squeeze to try unblock. Manage to pull the hose off. Forgot to put on a clamp. 100c wort splashing all around. Shut off valve. Lost about 2L on the floor. Pump bubbling up hot wort. Didnt take whirlpool arm out, it's started to siphon. More hot wort on the floor, walls, guten, me. Great.

Start cleaning the mess up. Boil finished. Turn off the heat, disconnect the pump. Had a small 30 second cry. Get back to it.

Turn chiller on. Forgot to add D180. Quickly add it. Chill wort. Clean up giant mess in garage.

Transfer to fermenter. Add yeast. Thank goodness that's over. Check gravity. 2 points up and still managed 21L in the fermenter.

Faaaaaark. Next time, I am doing a reiterated mash. No questions asked. No chance I'm trying this again in one go. View attachment 119766
View attachment 119767

I know its early, but that's a definite candidate for post of the year. The drama, the suspense, the resilience, the small victories against great odds. Friggin' great read. Lived every moment. Thanks.

Had days like that
Mark
Haha. Yeah it was close to shutting up shop and leaving half way.

I have a feeling it's going to be very thin and non existent head retention having mashed at 60c.

I know its early, but that's a definite candidate for post of the year. The drama, the suspense, the resilience, the small victories against great odds. Friggin' great read. Lived every moment. Thanks.

Haha thanks mate. My sense of humour is definitely the self deprecating type. Happy to laugh at myself.

I called it Putin Powered because no matter the result, it WILL be the best RIS ever. Regardless of what people think or if it's even drinkable.

I also famously made a "pond water pilsner" when I disconnected the hose from the immersion chiller while the tap was still on and sprayed about 3 litres of hose water into my cooled, chilled ready to transfer pilsner. It actually turned out fine, if not a little watery hahaha.

So someone was using Trump RIS - truly the best swamp draining's of all time, ever, seriously no fake news, it won in a landslide.
Mark

Haha. Figured people needed a laugh, and it really was one of those if I don't laugh I'll cry so I did both.

Wife came home and was asking how the brew went. I didn't wanna talk about it. Hahahah. The best part will be bottling it and then waiting 6 months to see if it's any good or not!

I'm sure it will be drinkable at least!

If you're going to call it Putin-powered, you might want to include a few mcg of Novichok.

The recipe looks good. I've used Nottingham in many dark beers. My one note would be that they tend to develop (for the better) slowly as ales go.

If you're going to call it Putin-powered, you might want to include a few mcg of Novichok.

The recipe looks good. I've used Nottingham in many dark beers. My one note would be that they tend to develop (for the better) slowly as ales go.
Yeah awesome. First time using Nottingham, I usually use Dennys Favourite in my dark beers but decided on dry yeast for this. I figured S04 could be ok but I find the esters a bit off for me.

Gonna age a minimum 6 months in the bottle I think. I just hope I got enough conversion in the higher temps so it's not watery.

I mash big Belgians at 60-62 and while lighter in body, they’re not watery at all, even with added dextrose. And given the OG I doubt it’ll be watery. Should be fine

I mash big Belgians at 60-62 and while lighter in body, they’re not watery at all, even with added dextrose. And given the OG I doubt it’ll be watery. Should be fine
Awesome. That makes me feel a bit more optimistic lol.

Well not certain if it's because I mashed low and have a fermentable wort, or if it's because 2 packs of Nottingham pitched warm are ripping through but she is hammering along. Dropped 50 points in less than 2 days.

Screenshot_20210109-122751_Brewfather.jpg

One runs into widely varying claims on boards regarding mashing that low. Different tastes? Different grains? Maybe, but I'll ask some questions and hypothesise.

Did you subsequently raise the mash temperature, say, for mashout? If so, was the grist at 70-73 for some time? If you used direct heating, it probably was. For how long?

Braukaiser has posted that Hochkurz schedules often include a rest of only 10 minutes at 71-72, which proponents (include me) claim improves mouthfeel and head retenttion.

One runs into widely varying claims on boards regarding mashing that low. Different tastes? Different grains? Maybe, but I'll ask some questions and hypothesise.

Did you subsequently raise the mash temperature, say, for mashout? If so, was the grist at 70-73 for some time? If you used direct heating, it probably was. For how long?

Braukaiser has posted that Hochkurz schedules often include a rest of only 10 minutes at 71-72, which proponents (include me) claim improves mouthfeel and head retenttion.
Yeah I doughed in at 70c and it probably spent 10 minutes at around 67 before dropping. I did a decoction and raised it to probably mid 60s, and couldn't mash out.

It appears finished, and my Tilt is telling me it's at 1.022 so I'm hopeful it doesn't creep down to 1.00x region, which considering it rocketed down to 1.022 over 48hrs and has stayed at 1.022 for 12 hours I'm hopeful.

Only time will tell haha

I’d wager most brewers have had a similar experience.

I spent 3 hours trying to sparge a double batch of Hefeweizen as it kept getting stuck (too much volume in too small a MLT), also ended up with burns and a big mess trying to make a double batch of robust porter when I knocked the tap off my kettle half way through the sparg. Neighbours must have thought they were living next door to the houso, such was the language that was spoken for the best part of 20 minutes.

I do a 70c rest, but there are times when I haven’t even done the 70c rest, just 90 mins at 60-62, pull the malt pipe out and head to the boil and my fermenter didn’t explode and a demon from the mash out dimension didn’t appear and rip me into pieces.

If you have a spare 12 hours, google “ is a mash out necessary?” Rabbit hole.

I know MHB is quite insistent on the importance of it, and he’s obviously very experienced. I haven’t done a genuine 76c mash out for a long time, but will do one on my next brew and see if there are any significant differences. I stopped doing the mash out because after I tried not doing one, I didn’t really notice a difference in the beer.

Last edited:
This will be the best RIS you've ever made... because it's going to be nigh on impossible to replicate!

Back