Put on a keg at local club

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballantynedewolf

Reaction score
A mate and I are thinking about putting on a keg at our local community club as a fundraiser for the club. Has anyone done this and can offer tips? Is it even legal?
We don't own any kegs. Club has 3 taps on always but with standard stuff.
Thanks.

Not necessarily. There are threads on this question

A production license is different to a supply license The ATO want their cut! Check with local Authorities and the ATO for a one off, shouldn't be too Hard to sort out.

Depending on where you are in the country, you may be able to give it away if there is no "implied sale". Ie; no entry fee, no purchase price, etc... Otherwise tax man is going to want his cut on BOTH the production, and sale, of said alcohol. You may (definitely check) also need council approval.

Hmm, tried to find some references on Google but coming up sparse... Then again I only looked at the first page of hits. Hopefully someone else can chime in with confirmations or corrections.

Thanks for the responses. I should have made explicit that we are brewing ourselves. We are on the edge of Sydney. The club is licensed.

@Yob used to do a brew tent for the high land games annually. He used the license held by his brew club to produce and the beer was given away on the premise of a Licensed club with their permission.
Note weather selling or giving away; permission will be required from local licensing and council will be required, or possible prosecution may result.

I've got nothing constructive to add or any sound advice to give but it shits me to tears that something like this is deemed illegal without the Government ( aka, ATO ) getting their grubby hands on some cash. Once that's sorted though, it's magically legal. We're getting god damn shafted in this country from electricity prices, rates, rents etc. Makes you want to disengage from society & be a free spirit. Stick all those regulations & rules up ya coita ya low life blood sucking Government leeches.
Sorry for the rant. Carry on boys.

Thanks for the responses. I should have made explicit that we are brewing ourselves. We are on the edge of Sydney. The club is licensed.

Is there an outdoor area you could set up a tent and a miracle box? I think putting it through the taps will bring you undone, if you ran a free sausage sizzle and gave away the beer not at the bar you might be able to swing it.

Serving size would need to be (by vcglr rules, Sydney may be different) 150ml 'sample' size with no exchange of coin.

Contact your local council or vcglr equivalent and ask the questions (carefully) but it's certain you can't take coin, as soon as you do you come under the excise laws... If your giving it away with no implied sales, and that can include ticketed events, you should be able to swing it.

We got a temporary liquor licence when we did it and was told, possible in error, that we didn't need one, make sure you cover your arse though and are covered by the venues public liability.

Sounds complicated? It's not really, just a few hoops to jump through and due diligence to make sure you're covered. I'd hazard a guess that through the taps will be out though, present the 2 options and see what floats

Have you rung the local police station and had a chat to the licencing officer? Theyd be able to say yes or no since they comment on all licence applications.

Thanks, all. I run a film society so I'm well aware of the fallacy of the implied sale. I suspect we wouldn't raise much fund if we gave it away. I will phone the local dibbers. Thanks again for all your responses.

Can't OP just give a keg to the club, who then sells it over the bar per normal?

What state are you in?

be nice, but again no one is paying excise so there's that.
i see what you're getting at, do you want a "carlton" that i bought legit and am licensed for selling punters.
if the commission commissars catch you're okay for first infringement after that - don't get caught.
dammit @Pnutapper

Liquor licensing act (in Vic anyway) prohibits selling liquor without a licence, with the rest of the regulations in the law being those imposed on the licensee... so maybe no problems there

According to my thorough 3second googling, you don't need to pay excise if you're brewing for non-commercial purposes. Looking at other stuff like this, maybe giving away a keg of beer for a fundraiser is not brewing for a commercial purpose?

Latest posts

Back