Purple hot break

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They use red dye on rice crops as a tracer.

While all cereal crops are sprayed, it is the hulls/husks which carry the bulk of the contamination rice hulls aren't washed unless for fodder, some countries don't even allow it for chicken litter unless it is washed.
Our malted grain is washed during the steeping process, I think if someone wanted to use rice hulls in the mash tun to just give them a rinse in a colander.

My understanding with rice, which is not a cereal, where dyes may be used, is to trace the water and therefore chemical flow from the crop into the surrounding waterways to avoid contamination, and even then this is done in experimental plots, not as a day to day practice to give confirmation of crop coverage. However I'm the first to admit I ain't no rice grower. In any case it's only a very few crops that get sprayed once they reach the sort of maturity that husks are developed. Normally it's done as a dessicant. No cereal or rice crop needs this.

I'd bet Scomo's left testicle the purple didn't come from dye, I think it much more likely Galbrew has boiled an alien by accident.

He's got to name the beer "Purple Monkey Dishwasher" it's the law.

images - 2020-09-19T170017.970.jpeg

brewtanb and calcium chloride has made my mash water purple before

Well, now that you mention it I did use Brewtan B and CaCl. That being said I always use those things and have used the same bag of rice hulls on many occasions and never has the break come out purple. I wonder what exactly changed this time around?

My understanding with rice, which is not a cereal, where dyes may be used, is to trace the water and therefore chemical flow from the crop into the surrounding waterways to avoid contamination, and even then this is done in experimental plots, not as a day to day practice to give confirmation of crop coverage. However I'm the first to admit I ain't no rice grower. In any case it's only a very few crops that get sprayed once they reach the sort of maturity that husks are developed. Normally it's done as a dessicant. No cereal or rice crop needs this.

I'd bet Scomo's left testicle the purple didn't come from dye, I think it much more likely Galbrew has boiled an alien by accident.
Not saying is is definitely a dye just a suggestion. Many crops get sprayed with fungicide, herbicide and pesticides, which stays mainly on the husks/hulls which is why I suggested rinsing the hulls before use. When did rice stop being a cereal crop?
Well, now that you mention it I did use Brewtan B and CaCl. That being said I always use those things and have used the same bag of rice hulls on many occasions and never has the break come out purple. I wonder what exactly changed this time around?
You haven't used iodine to test conversion? Maybe contaminated something.

Not saying is is definitely a dye just a suggestion. Many crops get sprayed with fungicide, herbicide and pesticides, which stays mainly on the husks/hulls which is why I suggested rinsing the hulls before use. When did rice stop being a cereal crop?

You haven't used iodine to test conversion? Maybe contaminated something.
No, didn’t do a conversion test. 🤔

yea man for sure this is it.

My abandoned strike water.

Attachments

• blueloo.JPG
    blueloo.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 52

Latest posts

Back