Purging With Co2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE DRUNK ARAB

Zen Arcade
Reaction score
Does anyone who cold conditions their beer purge the head space with CO2?
I thought that the beer would give off some CO2 whilst conditioning in the fridge, thus keeping oxygen from affecting the ageing capability of said beer.
Any opinions?

Cheers and bollocks
TDA

TDA

I have never felt the need to CO2 purge when cold conditioning, haven't had any problems so far.
My beers are fermented in my fridge (I crash cool ales, and slowly chill lagers) so I find a lot of CO2 is disolved in the beer and comes out as I rack it into my secondary, effectively doing the same thing (except for the first little bit)
Ahh to have a conical fermenter..........one day :D :D

Hoops

I'm not really sure if it makes a difference but I do generally purge the conditioning vessel. I have an old soda stream dispenser that I use to just shoot a few seconds worth of CO2 into the fermenter/cube prior to racking the beer. That way I try to avoid any O2 contact during the racking and until the wort has spewed forth its own CO2 as a blanket.

As I say, it may not be doing any good - but it's certainly not doing any harm :D

Trev

Back