Pure aldi cider need help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slyr31

Reaction score
Hi I am currently in the process of making a %100 aldi juice cider I used 20L of berry juice no added sugar or preservatives ! I boiled 2 litres of it and added 500g lactose 500g ( white sugar ) been told it was better to use melted i to the 2L of boiled juice and also half of a brew starter 1 kit as well as my champagne yeast how do you think this is going to turn out ? After 15 mins I did the og reading it was ( 0.82 ) after 6 days there is no bubbling going on ? Why is this ? And I tested with my hydrometer and its reading ( 7.2 ) what has gone on with this cider !!!!!!!

Can anyone either tell me how this is going to go or should I have done things different I really was wanting a sweet cider ! Has anyone got an easy way to re create bulmers ? Specially a black current one :)

Happy to try and help but your post is a bit hard to follow.

You're making a 100% aldi cider but using berri instead of aldi and intsead of 100% juice, you have also added lactose, white sugar and something from some kind of kit?

By .82, do you mean 10.82?

Anyaway, regardless of the above, airlock bubbles are not a reliable indicator of fermentation. Hydrometer readings, done properly, are. The fact that your cider has dropped gravity points suggests it is fermenting fine.

500g lactose will hold your cider back from being bone dry but it won't be super sweet. Cider will generally ferment right out to dry unless you add sweeteners, backsweeten, bottle pasteurise, halt fermentation early (don't do this if bottling unless pasteurising) or keeve.

Adding blackcurrant juice or cordial to your finished cider as you serve it is probably the easiset way to get a blackcurrant cider that has some sweetness.

mate, next time just use the juice and some decent yeast. you will get a dry ish cider but I did the same and back sweetened with 2L and it has turned out great, nothing lie a mainstream cider, but great all the same.

Sorry I'm still pretty new to brewing but the first of reading was from the top of the hydrometer where you have the 0.990 it was above that so I just put it down as .82 and after those 6 days and tested the hydrometer rose and its at 7.2 or is it 70.2 ? As for the juice I brought it from aldi it's the ( westcliff ) brand that aldi stock with no added sugar or preservatives and its an apple & black current juice !
And for the kit I was talking about it was half of the coopers brew started #1

If the hydrometer reading has changed, then it is fermenting.

The bulbous/heavy end goes in the tube, give it a spin and let it settle, then read the number at the liquid line. It should sink, not rise as fermentation occurs (so the numbers get closer to 1.000 over time)

Lactose doesn't ferment so will give you a few points of "gravity", such that the reading will never actually get down to 1000. Your recipe sounds fine for an Aldi cider and it seems to be fermenting out well.

Few wipes forehead thought it was going go to go belly up and a waste of time ! I'll check the gravity again tomorrow and ill get back to you all well I have not checked it today ill go do it now

Ok here is a pic taken just now of the hydrometer and also the cider itself ! Got the wife to taste it its more of a very fizzy champagne then a cider ! I used laval champagne yeast ! Shoud I have just used a apple cider kit then used juice instead of water ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

She's still got a long way to go.

Let it ferment out and add sweet juice to taste on serving if the lactose you've added doesn't get you there.

bum said:
She's still got a long way to go.

Let it ferment out and add sweet juice to taste on serving if the lactose you've added doesn't get you there.

Sweet juice ? And when do I add it

Slyr31 said:
Sweet juice ? And when do I add it
Fresh juice from the bottle and you add it to the glass when you pour one of your bottled cider. You could use blackcurrent juice at this point to get closer to the flavour profile you like.

cheers

What about if I put so many MLS per bottle while bottling of black current syrup ?

That would work. And it.would add to carbing up in the bottle. Easiest way would be to bulk prime.

Slyr31 said:
What about if I put so many MLS per bottle while bottling of black current syrup ?
No.* Unless you are able to get the perfect calc of juice per bottle.* The juice will ferment out and the blackcurrent flavour profile will ferment out as well. More importantly as the extra juice ferments in the bottle it will carbonate and could cause your bottles to explode. you do not want to be around if a bottle explodes. Google bottle bombs.

cheers

edit *

pre prime as in add it to it now after fermentation ? and what about carbonation drops would I still add 2 per bottle or 1 or none ?

Oh, is it IP-check o'clock already?! Where does the time go?

ummm ok !!! thanks for trying to help a person to brewing !

does anyone else have any advice or how one can replicate a bulmers next time around ?

bradsbrew said:
No.* Unless you are able to get the perfect calc of juice per bottle.* The juice will ferment out and the blackcurrent flavour profile will ferment out as well. More importantly as the extra juice ferments in the bottle it will carbonate and could cause your bottles to explode. you do not want to be around if a bottle explodes. Google bottle bombs.

cheers

edit *
Seen on YouTube and sure do not want to replicate any of them

Back