Pure aldi cider need help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just made a cider out of apple and blackcurrant juice, has a nice black currant finish in the mouth, I like it. Worth a try if you like that flavour.

Deep End said:
I just made a cider out of apple and blackcurrant juice, has a nice black currant finish in the mouth, I like it. Worth a try if you like that flavour.
Oh yeah nice how did you go about making yours ? That's what I was wanting to aim for more of the current side of flavour !

Aldi Apple and Blackcurrant is the same price as the pure apple. One tantalising thing they also have is Apple and Mango for a buck a litre. Now I reckon that would be nice. I think there used to be a mango version of Passion Pop back in the days before RTD leg openers got popular :)

I find that using the Black Rock kit plus juice isn't all that more expensive per glass and gives more of a Bulmers / Mercury flavour, probably all in the Kiwi apples they use. It's going to be difficult to get that sweetness when bottling - kegging is easy, just brew over strength to about 6.5% and cut it back with a litre or so of juice into the keg then chill straight away.

Edit: Coles do 3L juices at the same price and the same flavour range as Aldi, no doubt they are all from Berri anyway.

I just used a brigalow kit and replaced about 6 litres of the water content with apple and blackcurrant juice, and then put another 4 litres of apple and blackcurrant juice on top to make up 23 litres or so, came out around 7.5 % al/vol and has a definite black currant aftertaste, got the exact recipe written in my brew log if you want the exact details. But it was pretty much follow the can directions and switch a bit of water for juice + a bit more juice for more end product and a bit higher alc content.

BTW I cant drink Mercury Draught anymore after making my own, much prefer the taste of my own product.

Deep End said:
I just used a brigalow kit and replaced about 6 litres of the water content with apple and blackcurrant juice, and then put another 4 litres of apple and blackcurrant juice on top to make up 23 litres or so, came out around 7.5 % al/vol and has a definite black currant aftertaste, got the exact recipe written in my brew log if you want the exact details. But it was pretty much follow the can directions and switch a bit of water for juice + a bit more juice for more end product and a bit higher alc content.

I like the sound of that !!!!! And also sounds easy !

Deep End said:

So you didn't use any extra sugars or anything ?

Wow just tested my cider seems to going good still but taste test blower my. Head off tasted like straight alcohol

I can imagine it'd be pretty full on especially so young and with such a high OG

If you're original reading was 1082, you'd be expecting something around 10% (ish) if it got down to a final gravity around 1012 and I would imagine it'd probably go lower, my apple & black currant (apple cider kit with 6 litres of apple & black currant juice - total brew about 18 L in primary) got down to about 1006 and had a nice black currant finish.

That said, i've tried a few times with other juices and haven't been able to replicate that original batch.

I know you probably wouldn't (I don't even know why I tried it but just in case - never use ribena.. it ferments out to a pretty vile flavour.

Al

That's what I've found with my ciders so far, with beers that often attenuate at, say 1012 then an OG in the fifties gives you a nice special bitter and you tend to fall into that "groove" when thinking about strengths. However as ciders ferment right down then a similar OG tends to make jungle juice. :chug:

Bribie G said:
That's what I've found with my ciders so far, with beers that often attenuate at, say 1012 then an OG in the fifties gives you a nice special bitter and you tend to fall into that "groove" when thinking about strengths. However as ciders ferment right down then a similar OG tends to make jungle juice. :chug:
Jungle juice ;) think I have just made 20L of it lol

Deep End said:
Just a kilo of sugar as required by the brigalow kit
I have just made this new cider up as my last one well lets just say I have tasted metho even better as the picture I am about to put up will show u where it has been sitting for the last 4 days ! And further below I have put a new one in to brew have a look and tell me what you think :)

Some reason my iPads not letting me put pictures up !!! Well as for the metho :) it's been sitting at 2.50 for the last few Days and tasted crap and smelt crap so I script that and went and got an apple brigalows cider kit and added 1kilo of white sugar and then added 8l of Aldo apple and black current juice topped up to 18L with water ! How will this turn out I tested 5 mins after adding yeast and it was sitting at 5.900 smells great compared to the last one !

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread - started at one then read 34. I make a simple cider + time. i.e. 18 litres Aldi apple juice fermented at 18 deg.C with US-05. When nearly 1.006 tfr to keg. - Shyte taste for the next 6 months. Leave for 2-3 years back of garage. Then its foirtin cider.
HD

Getting brilliant results with juice plus sugar - however I'm on my fifth cider now and always used "cider yeast" as supplied with the Black Rock kit. I know other guys use beer yeast but this cider yeast seems to be another species altogether, After fermentation it sticks to the bottom of the fermenter and you just about have to take a paint scraper to it. Also it looks and behaves like very pale peanut butter - gooey and almost oily in character, but makes ripper cider. Currently drinking one with my mate that was only kegged on Thursday and it beats the shyte out of the five seeds we had at the club over lunch.

I'm new to this but I'd stick my neck out and say, on my limited experience so far, that if you want to make a lager you don't use Wyeast West Yorkshire, if you want to make a Merlot you don't use Tandaco bakers yeast and if you want to make a cider.......

I put down an aldi apple with 1kg mixed frozen berries and .. damn does it taste good so far,, put in bout 500g lactose/500g glucose

A word on ALDI juice.
I dumped 8L with half a kilo of brown sugar on the cake from a 10L batch I made from apples I juiced myself. (S04)
I kegged the self juiced apples, then dumped the finished ALDI batch in to top it up.

Although I'm not much of a cider fan, I made it principally for my wife, that could all change. Its the first one I've made that actually tastes 'like apples', It's delicious.

Based on the mighty evidence of one result, I'm convinced if you can source fresh apple juice or be arsed juicing some, the results are well worth the effort.
It makes a profound difference, in my opinion anyway.

I did a really basic cloudy apple juice cider - 10.5lts of Juice with SO4. Added 1kg of lactose for body and sweetness near end of fermentation.
Started at 1.048 and went like the clappers to 1.001
Took a few weeks to taste good.
I was suprised that 1kg of lactose didn't really make it "sweet" as such.
Going for fresh juice from the orchard next with a mix if apple / pear
Any ideas on ratio of apple to pear ?

Such a shame about freight costs as there is a fella on King Island with an apple orchard that has a selection of cider apples. He supplies the Island with apple juice.

Imagine being able to order cider apple juice for a turbo cider. Quality would step up markedly from the juice many of us use currently..

Latest posts

Back