Purchased S.steel Bottom Wont Fit Into Round Esky - Cut It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_wibble

Beer Odd
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a 30cm stainless steel false-bottom from Grain & Grape, but I was too poor to go for their 38l Rubbermaid, and opted for the knockoff round esky from BCF. However in the knockoff version, the spigot manifold juts into the inside of the esky by about 20mm, so the false bottom doesn't fit.

I initially planned to go medieval on the screen, and make it fit - but then I thought that perhaps the cut in the domed curvature will allow grain to come through? Has anyone does this ?

I'm looking for some advice on how to go forward with this - cut the screen? or take the esky back to BCF (policy permitting) and save up for the rubbermaid - Does it have a nice flat round bottom?

thanks for any help

-kt

I have the same esky, nothing wrong with it. I just used a smaller false bottom link here

Maybe see if you can return/swap for the smaller one.

Hi,

I bought a 30cm stainless steel false-bottom from Grain & Grape, but I was too poor to go for their 38l Rubbermaid, and opted for the knockoff round esky from BCF. However in the knockoff version, the spigot manifold juts into the inside of the esky by about 20mm, so the false bottom doesn't fit.

I initially planned to go medieval on the screen, and make it fit - but then I thought that perhaps the cut in the domed curvature will allow grain to come through? Has anyone does this ?

I'm looking for some advice on how to go forward with this - cut the screen? or take the esky back to BCF (policy permitting) and save up for the rubbermaid - Does it have a nice flat round bottom?

thanks for any help

-kt

Just trim the false bottom down. if you reduce the diameter it will still perform the same. i had the same issue so i just got out the old compass from school and marked it out to 230mm in diameter, trimmed it up with the grinder and smoothed the edges out with a 120 grit flap disk. Job done in under 20 mins.

HI All,

I did the exact same thing - bought the tight ass cooler and then the wrong FB.

I kept the big FB but went and bought a smaller one to fit. I used this for ~10 brews but the bottom of the tight ass cooler is not 100% flat and always little bits of grain got through.

Eventually I saved up and got the rubbermaid. 100% flab bottom with the 12" (30cm) FB and it works oh so well.

So, you'll get by with a smaller FB. Ultimately though the lesson I have learned is that sometimes (certainly not always especially with brewing) its best to spend a little more at the start. For me If I had done this I would have saved $200.

Good luck!

Keep the ss fb for now and make a manifold or bazooka screen for your cheap arse esky.
It will work just as well as the fb and if you stay with ag brewing long enough you will probably replace the esky anyway as even the expensive ones warp on the bottom after a while due to the heat.
I built a mash tun recently with a s steel pot a s steel fb and some insulation. Easy to clean and no warping or plastic damage and lasts virtually forever.
Cheers

I got a smaller fasle bottom, we could trade and pay the diff if its a fit. PM me

Or you could swap in at G+G?

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I guess ultimately I'm thinking about making a HERMS system, so should keep the screen and make a manifold as Dicko said - or at least make a more durable mash-tun out of a pot. I kinda already bought the parts for the manifold before I bought the s.steel screen anyway ;)

cheers,
-kt

Back