Purchased A Kegerator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it got delivered today... and the box is damaged and a dent in the fridge...

Got it marked on the delivery that it was damaged so having to lodge a claim with Toll. Seriously how hard is it to ship something without denting the crap outa it *sigh*

I've also let Pinnacle know so waiting on a response from them also.

...I reciever the wrong font so both taps wont fit in it together, aslo no plate to fit the font onto the fridge ...

Plate to fit the font onto the fridge? I didn't have a plate, just some screws to screw it in?

And did you get a double font? I know that my taps were *really* tight going in there. To the point that when I attached the 5/16 line provided, the width of the line meant that the 90 degree barbs clashed and it was almost impossible to screw them on to the shank. I managed to get them on there in the end with a fair bit of swearing, but it's a bit dodgy and everything is done up hand tight because I couldn't get a spanner in there.

And I only got 1 coupler as well. It's incredible the variation in items that we all seem to be getting.

On the plus side, Greg is quick to respond to my emails and seems happy to help...

Anyone got some photos of the condensor/compressor area. The label on mine almost looks burnt and the area above it looks like its had a fair bit of heat on it.

See the attached pictures.

With that said still got the dent on the back... not sure what to do, its a bit of a letdown when you order something and gets damaged in transit...

100_1938.jpg

100_1942.jpg

Plate to fit the font onto the fridge? I didn't have a plate, just some screws to screw it in?

And did you get a double font? I know that my taps were *really* tight going in there. To the point that when I attached the 5/16 line provided, the width of the line meant that the 90 degree barbs clashed and it was almost impossible to screw them on to the shank. I managed to get them on there in the end with a fair bit of swearing, but it's a bit dodgy and everything is done up hand tight because I couldn't get a spanner in there.

And I only got 1 coupler as well. It's incredible the variation in items that we all seem to be getting.

On the plus side, Greg is quick to respond to my emails and seems happy to help...

When I called Greg from pinnacle about it he said there's supposed to be some sort of plate that slides over the font so the screw holes match up.

Yeah I got a double font but there was no way I was gettin' 2 taps in there, they clashed together and they were only half way in.

I have to say I'm very happy with the actuall fridge but all this stuffing around with other crap is starting to make me wish I paid the extra 200 odd bucks and just got the lot from G&G. Just proof once again that you get what you pay for hey, I spose at least they are more than willing to sort it out (which they should be), but really, it's not hard to pack one of each item you're supposed to recieve in each order is it? I'm a storeperson myself and I know if all this went on at my work I'd be looking for another job.

Agree with claymen *sigh*

edit: claymen, I would be quite an agro man if I recieved mine in that shape. Hope they sort it out quick smart for ya

Anyone got some photos of the condensor/compressor area. The label on mine almost looks burnt and the area above it looks like its had a fair bit of heat on it.

See the attached pictures.

With that said still got the dent on the back... not sure what to do, its a bit of a letdown when you order something and gets damaged in transit...

Sorry to say but mine looked nothing like that and was in pristine condition :(

I know I'd be on the phone saying that it needs to be replaced - dents in transit is one thing and should be covered by couriers insurance, but that burnt crap probably didn't happen in transit and is not acceptable.

When I called Greg from pinnacle about it he said there's supposed to be some sort of plate that slides over the font so the screw holes match up.

Yeah I got a double font but there was no way I was gettin' 2 taps in there, they clashed together and they were only half way in.

I have to say I'm very happy with the actuall fridge but all this stuffing around with other crap is starting to make me wish I paid the extra 200 odd bucks and just got the lot from G&G. Just proof once again that you get what you pay for hey, I spose at least they are more than willing to sort it out (which they should be), but really, it's not hard to pack one of each item you're supposed to recieve in each order is it? I'm a storeperson myself and I know if all this went on at my work I'd be looking for another job.

Agree with claymen *sigh*

edit: claymen, I would be quite an agro man if I recieved mine in that shape. Hope they sort it out quick smart for ya
Dude the two taps DO go in there... Just put one on completely, then the other. I've had mine hooked up pouring glasses of sanitiser out of both taps. It's tight as and was fairly difficult to get them on but I did it no problem.

By the way I got a plate (I'd say more of a ring) that slides over the font to cover the screws and make it look nicer, but I certainly didn't get any plate that "made the screw holes line up"

Sorry to say but mine looked nothing like that and was in pristine condition :(

I know I'd be on the phone saying that it needs to be replaced - dents in transit is one thing and should be covered by couriers insurance, but that burnt crap probably didn't happen in transit and is not acceptable.

Greg rang me this morning and seemed to think there wasn't anything wrong with those marks etc and that it's just the way they are.. but I don't know just doesn't look right none of my other fridges have anything like that and the scorch marks just make it look like poor workmanship. I'm guessing its when they have fitted the bigger unit in there but yer it doesn't look like the best job. Have you got some pics of yours mate? I'm bit undecided what I want to do. Has anyone else got one that looked like mine?

Basically he wanted me to give it a run and see if it works and can go from there but yer don't quite know. I mean if it'd just been the dent I'd probably have accepted it ok but it's this other shit that concerns me.

**EDIT**

I think all things considered the burn marks and the damage getting it to me that it probably needs to be replaced. I'm about to send an email to Greg now detailing my issues. Really a new fridge modified or not shouldn't have those marks.. Cheers for the help guys, will let you know how I go.

Greg gave us a call back about it, this time I wasn't on the train so could actually talk properly.

He seems to think that from looking at the higher res photos I sent him that it shouldn't be an issue, although the marks don't look the best they are at the rear and he seems to think its likely from when it was being installed that maybe it had to be swapped out etc. I guess I can see it from both ends, if its a working fridge then it's a big hassle to swap it over for that but at the same time I dunno shouldn't really look like that either.. hmm. It is under warranty either way. He said it can be swapped over but yer not sure whether its worth the hassle if it works.. will get it plugged in tonight see how it goes I guess.

This is going to sound like a dumb question.

I've hooked up the regulator to my co2 bottle and connected it to the IN disconnect. When I turn the co2 bottle on, the purge valve on the regulator goes off. I know the knob on the front that screws into the front of the regulator controls the pressure but should this be turned all the way in or out... at the moment i can only turn the co2 tap slightly to control the pressure...

PS. first time i've ever used a gas regulator... can't you tell?

I've hooked up the regulator to my co2 bottle and connected it to the IN disconnect. When I turn the co2 bottle on, the purge valve on the regulator goes off. I know the knob on the front that screws into the front of the regulator controls the pressure but should this be turned all the way in or out... at the moment i can only turn the co2 tap slightly to control the pressure...

I'm not sure what you're actually asking - but I'm new to regulators too and have found that the control knob should be wound all the way out to begin with. This means no gas is being let through. Turn on the gas bottle and very little should happen. The slowly wind the control knob inwards and soon it will catch and your pressure gauge will spring into life.

Where did you get the reg from? The pressure-relief valve built into the body of the regulator is usually put there to prevent the regulator body from blowing apart in the event of internal failure - it should never vent under normal operation. If it is venting, it is a sign that there is something wrong internally, ie, ruptured diaphragm, damaged seat, etc. I must add that I'm not that familiar with Micromatic-style regulators - I'm used to dealing with industrial regs, eg, BOC, Cigweld.

Mine did that the first time I turned it on as well, what I did was wind the dial on the reg all the way out then vent the reg and wind it back in untill I hit the pressure I wanted, worked for me. I nearly laid an egg when the vent valve went off (first time using a reg too).

I don't like the look of that.

Try this thread, you'll see pictures of Screwtops and pictures of mine.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=30635

Hmmm they all look a little bit messy, and kinda lends me towards it being a case of the unit being replaced prior to being shipped out but just a bit too much heat used or maybe had to have a couple go's. I've got the fridge running with two kegs in, cooled them down overnight ok. Not sure how fast its meant to cool stuff down but seemed to be doing alright. Anyone timed theirs on how fast it could cool down a single corny?

I had one in mine for 24 hrs and it felt pretty cold, the beer inside might not be as cold though. I'd reckon 36-48 hrs should be sweet

It looks a bit like a Fridge mechanic has done a cheap job hooking up the compressor either in China, or once it hits Australia.
Cheap, meaning did not clean up after himself, I would say the burn marks are from the Oxy brazing the copper tubes. If you follow Thunderlips link to photos, Screwtops looks similar, but with black paint covering the burn marks. At least his did not burn the labels though.
Can you tell what brand the compresssor is? This is meant to be one of the main differences between the cheap Ebay ones V's ones sold by Homebrew stores.
Also do a search for Keg Mate on this forum to see more photos.

It looks a bit like a Fridge mechanic has done a cheap job hooking up the compressor either in China, or once it hits Australia.
Cheap, meaning did not clean up after himself, I would say the burn marks are from the Oxy brazing the copper tubes. If you follow Thunderlips link to photos, Screwtops looks similar, but with black paint covering the burn marks. At least his did not burn the labels though.
Can you tell what brand the compresssor is? This is meant to be one of the main differences between the cheap Ebay ones V's ones sold by Homebrew stores.
Also do a search for Keg Mate on this forum to see more photos.

Not sure what the brand is, can't really see from my photo's as I wasn't too concerned about it. I'll have a look tomorrow when I'm home again. It chilled my two cornys overnight pretty well, the fridge itself got down to 2c pretty quickly and seemed to hum along well.

Even though this thread is ages old now, I thought I'd share my experiences buying the dual font kegerator from Pinnacle.

As with everyone, it came with the 2 50L couplers, and mine was missing any gas line, so with the help of people on this forum, I made a shopping list.
I bought some gas line, the John Guest gas disconnects and a John Guest T-piece, the required clamps with a couple of spares and a couple of barbed beer disconnects, as Greg said it should be fine to cut off the couplers and just whack them on. Also bought myself a gas bottle. Can't forget that bit! Got all my bits together just before my first batch of beer was ready, so I put the gas portion of stuff together and tested it all out to make sure there were no leaks and it went well. Put my first kegs on, and also had trouble with the regulator (I think that was more me being a newb though), but eventually got that to do what it was told and started pouring beer! It was all relativately painless and I can fit three cornys and my gas bottle in the fridge no worries! The regulator does feel a bit cheap and doesn't seem very "precise" with it's adjustments, but all in all I'm super stoked! Been running it since December and I've had 0 problems. I think for all the messing around, it was cheaper than buying any of the "package" deals you can get for Kegerators in WA.

The compressor in Screwtops (from Craftbrewer) is an LG.

The compressor in mine (from Pinnacle) is also an LG.

I believe the fridges are exactly the same unit.

I seem to have been lucky in that I had no problems with my delivery and everything was included.
Even though I'm not using the twin Celli style font it did seem that it was ready to be used without me needing to do anything.
Taps and lines were attached.
Has this not been the case with some people?

And as someone else mentioned, even though the digital temp goes down to 2c I don't really think it's getting that cold.
Maybe about 4 to 5c.

And as someone else mentioned, even though the digital temp goes down to 2c I don't really think it's getting that cold.
Maybe about 4 to 5c.

Yeh, I agree. I have a thermometer that I'm going to stick in ther to test the temp. Just haven't had time to do it...

Latest posts

Back