Punk IPA - Scottish IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoAussie

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This is my first post, sorry for not opening with something simpler !

Relatively new to "All Grain" but not afraid to give something challenging a go and learn from mistakes !
Im from Scotland originally and have always had a soft spot for the overly hoppy Brewdog beers and I am thinking I will give this recipe a go however I am curious to those who are experienced in relation to the addition of the hops and when you would recommend and by what method??

Recipe
25L Boil Volume
4.38 KG Extra Pale Malt
0.25 KG Caramalt
Mash Temp 66C for 75Min
Wyeast 1056 - American Ale

And a shit load of hops;

HOPS(g)AddAttribute
Chinook20.0gStartBitter
Ahtanum12.5gStartBitter
Chinook20.0gMiddleFlavour
Ahtanum12.5gMiddleFlavour
Chinook27.5gEndFlavour
Ahtanum12.5gEndFlavour
Simcoe12.5gEndFlavour
Nelson Sauvin12.5gEndFlavour
Chinook47.5gDry HopAroma
Ahtanum37.5gDry HopAroma
Simcoe37.5gDry HopAroma
Nelson Sauvin20.0gDry HopAroma
Cascade37.5gDry HopAroma
Amarillo10.0gDry HopAroma

https://brewdogrecipes.com/recipes/punk-ipa-2010-current
Thanks for your input !

I've brewed it a few times. Can be difficult to source some of the hops (particularly Ahtahnum) For all these DIY Dog recipes I put the 'middle' hops in at 15mins and the end hops at 0 mins, or a whirlpool, depending on how much time I have that brew day. After fermentation and a diacetly rest, drop the temp to 15C and throw in your dry hops. Theres a million videos on youtube of the how for these.

I've brewed quite a few of these recipes and for the most part they're very good. The only thing I'd say is they spent a lot of time on the well known recipes and making sure they've scaled ok, but some of the more esoteric recipes, they didnt.

To anyone who can't
I've brewed it a few times. Can be difficult to source some of the hops (particularly Ahtahnum) For all these DIY Dog recipes I put the 'middle' hops in at 15mins and the end hops at 0 mins, or a whirlpool, depending on how much time I have that brew

If you brewed two batches, one with Ahtanum, the other with the five other hops increased to make up for the absence of Ahtanum,, I'd bet few would detect a difference. Ahtanum is assertive, but not in your face. My rule of thumb: using up to four hops arguably adds complexity,, but six is more about marketing. One could use 20 hops and make a great brew, but it wouldn't be essential.

Latest posts

Back