Punchy American Style IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheExpat

Reaction score
Hi guys

Looking to create a punchy, full flavoured American IPA - used IanH's spreadie and am looking at doing the following....which brings it right in range...

1.7kg Coopers IPA can

1.7kg Blackrock Light LME

1kg LDM

500g Medium crystal grain

Steep grain at 70C for 30mins in 1.5L and sparge with 1.5L

For hop boil bring up to 5 litres

300gms of the LDM with …

Cascade 25gms @ 30mins

Amarillo 25gms @ 15mins

Citra 25gms @5mins

Cool and bring wort up to 23 Litres

US-05 yeast

Citra Dry hop at day 4

Thinking I want a fairly well balanced beer with lots of flavour and a kick. Want a deepish colour and caramel undertones. Was thinking maybe only 500gms of LDM.

I'd like something towards an SN Torpedo style beer. Maybe a little like Murrays icon 2 IPA.

Any thoughts?!

Tom

That will taste nice, but it won't be Torpedo or 2IPA level of hoppy.

I'd drop the crystal (kits add plenty of unfermentables) and go with ~100g @ 0mins and ~100g dry hop. You could even go higher if you want.

Where did you get the recipe?

I like the hop bill

Do you have an IBU target?

A lot of grain I thought.

Well the two cans were supplied by LHBS but when I plugged in that recommendation to the spreadie it came out lighter than I'd like pretty much across the board. I have 2kgs of coopers BE1, 1kg of LDM, a bunch of Citra, cascade and Amarillo, I'll be ordering the grain as I want a fuller body than I think I'll get.

The spreadie seems to think that will be on the hoppy side, I could add some hips a little earlier I do want a big hop hit but I want a balance between that and a lovely malty caramel body

I kind of made up the recipe to fit what I have and what I want...

Here is a West Coast IPA recipe thats done well at the Nats. Might give you a few ideas.........

Obviously hop types can be swapped to what you have

1.8kg LDME 1.5kg Wheat LME 200g Victory 200g Munich 100g Crystal, light 100g Crystal, dark 400g Dextrose 15g Centennial and Magnum 60min, 8g Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo, Galaxy, Citra, NS 30min 7g Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo, Galaxy, Citra, NS 10min - Flameout 7g Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo, Galaxy, Citra, NS during crash chill 1.5 tsp Gypsum 2 tsp Yeast Nutrient 1-Feb Whirfoc 2pk US05 rehydrate in water

Good looking recipe stew but the formatting is all over the shop.
Hard to follow.

I'll take a look at the hip schedule but for the malt I'm probably going to go with what I have in my cupboard as this is essentially an entire new recipe with only a little cross over with what I have.

I'll plug it in the spreadie to see how it goes though.

Back