Pumpy's Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
For those who are interested ,I recemntly posted the first stage of my grain mill and this morning I was busy drilling about 32 holes to bolt it all together the frame is made from a 'U "shaped Ally wth "L'Shaped Ally for the brackets.
I am not really good at metalwork things dont always fit with me but I took my time and have suprised myself this time .

The Missus did not believe it would work but roughly set at 1mm gap I turned the rollers by hand and Beuwdiful husks still perfectly formed .I nearly fell over I thoudht adjusting it would be another half day .

I saveed 30 cents Kilo on the grain bill perhaps more in petrol going to picked up small batches,The Satisfaction is 'Priceless'

I just got to make the handle and the Hopper .

Great work pumpy, that is a nice looking unit. The picture resolution is a bit harsh on my dial-up connection though ;)

As a fellow DIY roller mill maker, I can concur with the satisfaction of grinding your own grain. Not so mention drinking shit loads of beer.

Murray ,

I dont know why the Picture resolution came up like that the original was clear try this one .

perhaps cuz I tries to put up two pictures

Try this picture

pumpy

Murray said:
Great work pumpy, that is a nice looking unit. The picture resolution is a bit harsh on my dial-up connection though ;)
Great job Pumpy.

Murray, the pictures will be slow to load as the are 1632 x 1224. They will get clearer if you leave them long enough (eg as they load the image becomes sharper).

Beers.
Doc

Doc said:
Murray, the pictures will be slow to load as the are 1632 x 1224.
That's what I meant :) I could see the picture Pumpy, just had to wait awhile.

Thanks Doc ,

The pics still look a bit solarised but you get the idea the whole frame is nice and strong the 'L" shaped brackets keep it nice and square.

Funny with this project when I realised that you could get freemachining grade SS ,I just bought the length I wanted 'then it gives me the motivation ,I think shit I will be wasted theis bit of SS if I dont get the mill made ,like the grain I bought it whole on Saturday morning so It motivated me to finish the mill so I could crush it next Saturday .

That s Pumpy logic

So how do you adjust the gap on your mill pumpy

I there a chance that pix can be kept to under 100k, they just take forever too load otherwise. Or am I the only caveman left with dial-up?

tdh

Bloody dial up!!!!!

Been waiting for a month now to get my ADSL reprovisioned from young to sydney.

5- 20 days my arse!!!!

Nice job on the mill, Pumpy. I made mine as well but just from bits of scrap lying around my old workshop. I posted a pic on here under the thread "my grain mill" if you want to see how i did my hopper.

Sintax one roller is fixed and one roller has a slight adjustment it is the four bolts but I am banking on when it is set then no real adjustment necessary .
My first trials set at about 1mm gap looked great perfectly formed husks.

Timmy,
is your hopper on this site ? I cant find which page is it in 'gear and equiptment' , I would like a look .I was just going to rough one up in carboard until I can get the right pattern.

Pumpy

Pumpy

Just an update on the mill , I eventually stripped off the line knurls and had to put a cross hatch on the rollers I used a medium knurling tool from Hare and Forbes I had to cut about six times to get the required depth
I repositioned the rollers as recommended by Linz ( you were right )

I am going to put a longer handle on the mill the rollers are 50 mm diameter and 200mm and you need a fair bit of 'welly' to turn this beast over, as it sucks in the grain at such a rate .its a greed machine

there were times when I thought it would never work and went it some depression over the time I had spent on it .

But there is someting a bit special about it .

Pumpy

Just an update on how the mill is going the hooper Coffee table version looks cool did not work rebuilt in the wooden stuff
anyway all is well in Pumpyland hope the pics are of some useto you , if someone as hopless at me can do this anyone can but it takes time and patience and dont give up .

Pumpy

this is the Perspex hopper looks cool did not work

this is the Perspex hopper looks cool did not work

It was not the perspex it was my design keep the hopper close to the rollers and leave ono gap at the ends of the rollers or the grain falls out

This is the inside of the hopper dont make too wide or it jambs up

I can get my hand in to turn over the stationary roller just to get it started

Just an updat e reknurled rollers with crosshatch and made a stand does 5 kg in three mins, set at 1mm bit of huffy puffy

Pumpy

Latest posts

Back