Pumping through a filter instead of co2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iralosavic

Reaction score
If I'm using my LBP to move beer from a fermenter tap to a keg via a beer filter (simply using a 1/2 female BSP to john guest on the outlet), can I run the filter to the outpost of the keg (down the tiptube diptube) with the keg sealed and not have any need to relieve internal pressure during the process?

I'm used to doing keg to keg pressurised transfers with co2 and the process drives me nuts (constantly bleeding/purging etc). I also rarely have two empty kegs, so the pump seems like an awesome solution.

Cheers

The pump will be pumping against the pressure that builds up inside the keg.

Why not pull the PRV (if you rotate the ring when it's pulled it will stay up) and fill as normal (only pump pressure will be through the filter) then purge with co2 at the end?

I would purge the receiving keg with c02 first. Then connect the filter to the outpost and purge the filter housing with the co2 remaining in the keg.
When you start the transfer, unscrew the PRV slightly until gas begins to hiss slowly out, walk away. you could also just open the PRV completely but that can cause foaming.

I'd imagine you want to be close by when it gets near the end, you dont want the pump to run dry....

iralosavic said:
If I'm using my LBP to move beer from a fermenter tap to a keg via a beer filter (simply using a 1/2 female BSP to john guest on the outlet), can I run the filter to the outpost of the keg (down the tiptube diptube) with the keg sealed and not have any need to relieve internal pressure during the process?

I'm used to doing keg to keg pressurised transfers with co2 and the process drives me nuts (constantly bleeding/purging etc). I also rarely have two empty kegs, so the pump seems like an awesome solution.

Cheers

I personally would not use a LBP to move beer around (infection risk), I would use a peristaltic pump, that way it's only the tube I need to sanitize.

the way you did the keg to keg doesn't seem the best, the way I do is as follows

equalise pressure in both kegs
leave co2 on full keg
connect out to out of both kegs
open valve relief till full

if you search here you'll find a vid from ross that will not wast co2

pump

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I have pin-lock kegs, so no ring-pull PRVs. I can just use a QD with nothing attached to relieve pressure though.

NewtownClown said:
I would purge the receiving keg with c02 first. Then connect the filter to the outpost and purge the filter housing with the co2 remaining in the keg.
When you start the transfer, unscrew the PRV slightly until gas begins to hiss slowly out, walk away. you could also just open the PRV completely but that can cause foaming.

I'd imagine you want to be close by when it gets near the end, you dont want the pump to run dry....
When you say use the keg co2 to purge the filter, I assume this would automatically happen if the inlet before the pump isn't connected to the fermenter outlet? Then close the outlet valve on the filter until the pump is operating? Is that what you meant to do?

When you refer to unscrewing the PRV until gas escapes, are you referring to the PRV on the the receiving keg or on the filter housing? Does having a pin-lock keg change your advice? I'd be supervising the transfer, so not worried about running the pump dry :)

mxd said:
I personally would not use a LBP to move beer around (infection risk), I would use a peristaltic pump, that way it's only the tube I need to sanitize.

the way you did the keg to keg doesn't seem the best, the way I do is as follows

equalise pressure in both kegs
leave co2 on full keg
connect out to out of both kegs
open valve relief till full

if you search here you'll find a vid from ross that will not wast co2

pump
Thanks for that, I'll check the link out. I'd love a peristaltic pump, but I couldn't justify the multiple hundreds for one! I accept the risk of infection involved in transferring liquid through an impeller style pump, but I'm fairly confident that pumping sanitiser for a min or so would be adequate insurance.

I have been searching for the Ross method of keg to keg transfer for ages, but can't find it. Can someone link me up please? :D Cheers

Latest posts

Back