Pump LPM

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mulld

Reaction score
Morning all,

Currently using a 16-19 Lpm pump for all my brewing needs. Looking to add a second for a whirlpooling and other things once i get round too fabricating a stand.
I find that my current pump doesn't really get a nice whirlpool action going.

Running the whirlpool set up in a 37Litre SS brewmaster kettle.

What pumps are other people running and LPM capacity. Would rather spend a little extra money aswell and future proof my set up.

Cheers

Welcome. Enjoy the forum. I don't have an answer, but a question instead.🙂 What's been your favorite brew you have made?

Been making a clone of behemoth murica the past few, really enjoy the APAs. About to make a clone of the Jedi Juice. Use to drink that when i lived in Perth. So looking forward to that one

Hi Mulld. Can you describe how you have set up you whirlpool system?
Edit. Sorry, I just looked at the kettle on the website. It has a tangential entry for whirlpooling, the 16-19 lt pump you have should do the job. Can you mount the pump closer to the inlet?

Hi Mulld. Can you describe how you have set up you whirlpool system?
Edit. Sorry, I just looked at the kettle on the website. It has a tangential entry for whirlpooling, the 16-19 lt pump you have should do the job. Can you mount the pump closer to the inlet?

Might give that a bash. My outlet hose is quite long due to my set up being abit ad hoc currently. Might just shorten it and see how it goes

Same with the inlet side, make it as big a bore and as short as you can to reduce flow losses.
Many commercial pumps are 1 size larger on the inlet than the outlet; I have a small SS sanitary pump that is 32mm inlet and 25mm outlet.
Avoid fittings with limited bore, never control flow on the inlet, locate the pump lower than the bottom of the kettle, make sure it’s fully purged of air, isn’t cavitating, no short radius bends... All the regular things that make a pump work properly.
Other than that I'm agreeing with razz, the one you have should be doing the job
Mark

Been making a clone of behemoth murica the past few, really enjoy the APAs. About to make a clone of the Jedi Juice. Use to drink that when i lived in Perth. So looking forward to that one
Fantastic. Do you like ales as much as lagers? Thanks for the replies.

I use the pump in the Guten 70 which is probably similar to the Brewzilla 65, have no trouble with good whirlpool and forms a good cone.
As @MHB says don't throttle your pump with narrow gauge tubes, flow is proportional to the 4th power of the radius. Which means if you can double the radius you'd get 16 times the flow. Shorter tubes make less difference but will help your performance. The other thing to bear in mind is the whirlpool outflow if this is smaller then velocity will increase, much like putting your finger over the end of a hosepipe makes the water spray much further.

Thanks for the replys, Will have to do abit of shopping to get some larger bore tube clamps etc.

Time for a little bit of testing on the set up.

"Thanks for the replys, Will have to do abit of shopping to get some larger bore tube clamps etc. "

Instead of shopping for clamps, try my Bow-Tie-Wire idea, tried and tested and very effective, I don't use anything else, they always work and cheap as...well a small piece of wire!
Robobrew V3 vs Guten

@Grok
Quality cable tie will do it as well and if needed go round twice before zipping it up. Been using this on the recirc arm of the guten from day one.

Back