Pubs In Canberra

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boots

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Myself and a work mate are going to be in Canberra at the start of August, and I was wondering if there are any decent pubs?

A quick internet search came up with a lone Irish Pub....

Anyone else going to Tech Ed?

Cheers
Boots

I'm not going but I heard My Mother in law is heading that way . so BEWARE!!

Boots

Goto teh wig and pen....
Link Here....http://www.wigandpen.com.au/

If you are going to be in Canberra for the first Thursday of the month - goto the Canberra Brewers Club Meeting at the griffen centre last room lower floor on the right need the skateboard park - meeting starts 7.45pm. Some goto the Wig & Pen afterwards.

If you plan too - might give you some of my beers to take along for the lads.

You will have a nice time...

If you are interested - i will tee it up.

Boots said:
Hi Guys,

Myself and a work mate are going to be in Canberra at the start of August, and I was wondering if there are any decent pubs?

A quick internet search came up with a lone Irish Pub....

Anyone else going to Tech Ed?

Cheers
Boots
Make sure you turn the lights out when you leave Canberra Boots ;)

C&B
TDA

TDA - LOL :lol:

Wigg and Pen - looks the goods. Thanks Ken.

I think we get into town on the Tuesday Ken, so would miss the meeting....

The meeting is on the Thursday 5th of August....

Will you still be in canberra...

Ken...

Weeelllll, after confirming that canbeera is the quietest and COLDEST freaking city in OZ, i have had a well wicked session at the wig and pen.

Started off with the Kolsch ... Can't compare it with anything else coz I've never tried a kolsch before but strikes me as a fantastic session beer. The cleanest beer I've ever had ..... enjoyment factor = high. My mate had the blonde heffeweizen in this round which was alright, buy nothing to write on the web about ;)

next round comes the IPA ... WOW ... suddenly I realise I'm drinking BEER ... served with practically no carbonation from a pump (no gas) this was biggest IPA i've tried (haven't tried taht many which would be true to style). I thought that James squire IPA was good, this beer made me revise my internal definition of IPA. Not a session beer, but worthy of respect (mine anyway). This round my mate had the Pale Ale, which was also cask conditioned and cascade based ... very nice, but he struggled with the low bubbles idea.

next was ........ Imperial Russian Stout ......... OMIGOD ....... drive, walk, or fly to canberra to try this beer. At first i thought I'd struggle to finish it it was so thick and chewy , but as it warmed up it smoothed out fantastically; One of the best beers I've ever enjoyed. Had a couple of these.Amongst thse I had amouthful of the Irish red. Was ok but im not a fan of the style so won't comment more than that.

Another IRS

and another

Talked myself into having the "other" stout on the menu and immediately realised i did it no favours by having it after the imperial ...... was good, but my mouth was still wanting more russian action

Got Great service from the bar man, asked him to pass my thanks to the brewer, and left 9/10's pissed and a very happy customer. Will try and get there again before the end of teh week.

props

boots

Back