Pubs/beers/breweries In New Zealand

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black_labb

Reaction score
I think I'll be going to New Zealand south island in november for about a month. I'm going to be riding my bike around for nearly a month and stops at brewery's would be quite welcome. Anyone have any reccomendations for some good pubs or breweries to stop at while I'm there? Might have to jump some fences and steal some ryzomes!

In Christchurch:

Twisted Hop (I think its re-opened now... best check)
Cassels and Son www.casselsbrewery.co.nz/ (I can vouch for this place... OUTSTANDING)
Across the road is Three Boys. They are just in an industrial type unit... pretty sure they's show you around.
Pomeroys. www.pomeroysonkilmore.co.nz/
Dux De Lux - http://www.duxbrew.co.nz/
Harringtons harringtonsbreweries.co.nz/ (not a fan of their beers...)

Hit up the Arrow Brewing Company bar in Arrowtown. NZ Craft Beer TV This series of episodes covers most of them. I was over there at the end of September into October. There's also Wanaka Beerworks next to the old school airport in Wanaka. Don't miss Pomeroy's in Christchurch. There's also a place called Smash Palace which is a couple of buses parked surrounded in scaffolding and one of the buses is converted into a bar, serving from both sides.

And, if you haven't been before/recently, get to Wellington. A no-brainer really.

And, if you haven't been before/recently, get to Wellington. A no-brainer really.

Great city. Walked into the New World near the Police Headquarters. One ENTIRE aisle of craft beer from Rodenbach Vintage and other exotic lambics through to every NZ beer you can think of all the way to Dogfish Head and other US beers that are hard to find in Aus. All in a bloody supermarket. AWESOME.

Great city. Walked into the New World near the Police Headquarters. One ENTIRE aisle of craft beer from Rodenbach Vintage and other exotic lambics through to every NZ beer you can think of all the way to Dogfish Head and other US beers that are hard to find in Aus. All in a bloody supermarket. AWESOME.

We like our beer here. ;)

In Christchurch:

Twisted Hop (I think its re-opened now... best check)
Cassels and Son www.casselsbrewery.co.nz/ (I can vouch for this place... OUTSTANDING)
Across the road is Three Boys. They are just in an industrial type unit... pretty sure they's show you around.
Pomeroys. www.pomeroysonkilmore.co.nz/
Dux De Lux - http://www.duxbrew.co.nz/
Harringtons harringtonsbreweries.co.nz/ (not a fan of their beers...)

Cassels and sons looks good.might have to spend a bit of time in.christchurch

I enjoyed a couple of nights spent at Dux De Lux in Queenstown earlier in the year.

Check out: http://www.beertourist.co.nz/index.html

Thanks, I'll have a look through that site

Missed a lot of posts there. Don't think I'll end up in Wellington but will spend some time there if I head to the north island. I'll get a route together and see where it takes me.

Okay, my information may be a little out of date, but I've done a bit of beer tourism in the South.

So in Dunedin is Emersons which is one of New Zealand's bigger (and excellent) breweries. I haven't been there myself, but the beer is awesome.

Nelson Bays region is loaded with breweries and is the centre of NZ's hop growing industry;

Blenheim: Renaissance/8 Wired (two breweries, same premises), Pink Elephant (We weren't able to visit this though), Moa (Not my fav, but very popular at the moment, also based on a winery so two birds one stone).

Nelson: The Freehouse is an excellent bar in an old chapel, Founders Brewery (Based in an historic park area, a bit weird, but the brewery is good). McCashins (where New Zealand's craft beer begun. Was the home of Macs, but has been reclaimed by Macs original owners, the McCashin Family, and is brewing under the label Stoke now).

The Moutere Inn is a funny little tavern (and self proclaimed oldest pub in the country) where you can spend the night, has great beer and some old school lodgings when I was there.

Finally, the Mussel Inn: A must visit. Quite out of the way, but an awesome brew pub near Takaka, Awesome vibe and great beers (including the famous Captain Cooker Manuka Beer). Be warned however, they don't take kindly to mobile phones.

Some photos for the curious.

Moutere.jpg

Cellphone_owners_beware___Mussel_Inn.jpg

Mussel_Inn_Beers.jpg

The_Mussel_Inn.jpg

Founders_beer.jpg

Moa.jpg

Moutere_sign.jpg

Not_pictured___actual_hops.jpg

I did a beer tour of NZ this time last year.

Check out
www.beertourist.co.nz

Whilst I didn't visit too many breweries, as alot seemed to be produciton only. There are quality beer bars everywhere

The nelson region had more beers bars than I could visit.
The free house would of been my favourite
The Moutere Inn was well worth the drive out of town.
McCashins Brewery was nice too.
The Sprig and Fern have i think 4 locations in Nelson

I also stayed at Old Pommeroys Pub in Christchurch. Must of had 18 beers and 2 handpumps on tap. Great place.

Thanks guys. I was planning to get up to the nelson area so I'll make sure to give myself a fair bit of time to wander around the area.

Nothing to add on a beer front but on the cycling around NZ front: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&am...d=1869&v=Hn

lmk if you have any questions and I'll see how good my memory is.

In short: you will love it (and occasionally hate it). Be prepared for all sorts of weather, including wind you can barely ride into. If you think you're fit... HAHAHAH... I'll let you find out the hardway. NZ drivers are generally much more courteous than their Aussie counterparts, just avoid the SH1 up the east coast.

If you're near Nelson then ride the hill from Rai Valley (maybe a day trip Nelson to Havelock for Mussels and then back again). The Ride from Nelson to Murchison was quite good - over the hope saddle. Breakfast at the cafe in Murchison was great. The Buller gorge was easy to roll down and quite nice.

Ed

In short: you will love it (and occasionally hate it). Be prepared for all sorts of weather, including wind you can barely ride into. If you think you're fit... HAHAHAH...

My memories of cycle touring the Sth Island involve slogging it uphill to reach a high mountain pass only to be confronted with wall of wind and having to pedal to get down the other side! As for the west coast, wet brakes, loaded panniers and long downhill sections don't mix well! Lots of fun!

Nothing to add on a beer front but on the cycling around NZ front: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&am...d=1869&v=Hn

lmk if you have any questions and I'll see how good my memory is.

In short: you will love it (and occasionally hate it). Be prepared for all sorts of weather, including wind you can barely ride into. If you think you're fit... HAHAHAH... I'll let you find out the hardway. NZ drivers are generally much more courteous than their Aussie counterparts, just avoid the SH1 up the east coast.

If you're near Nelson then ride the hill from Rai Valley (maybe a day trip Nelson to Havelock for Mussels and then back again). The Ride from Nelson to Murchison was quite good - over the hope saddle. Breakfast at the cafe in Murchison was great. The Buller gorge was easy to roll down and quite nice.

Ed

Didn't expect to find someone else from CGOAB here. I'll be writing a journal as I go I think.
I hadn't gone through your journal yet but I will now and I'll ask you any questions that I have.
Cheers

My memories of cycle touring the Sth Island involve slogging it uphill to reach a high mountain pass only to be confronted with wall of wind and having to pedal to get down the other side! As for the west coast, wet brakes, loaded panniers and long downhill sections don't mix well! Lots of fun!

Wet brakes wasn't something I had any problems with as my bike handles the water fairly well and you can always just turn into the wind but I did have a slight overheating issue coming down off Cardrona Valley Rd in to Queenstown. Brakes only matter if you chicken out and decide to slow down... like when you hit this bit of road after a screaming down a hill http://goo.gl/maps/bQV9V

Ed

sounds great in a way, looking forward to it!

Back